Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spanish Ostmedal?

Guys.

This is the 2nd one i see in 20 years.....i hade one of these 20 years ago but it got stolen from me by a collector here in sweden. When this one showed up on an auction i bought it thinking it was the same, it wasnt...

This one was bought from the grandson of a Swedish officer who passed away in 69......

It is made of 2 parts.(like the ironcross but without the core)...just like the one i had 20 years ago....

The sad thing is that someone repainted the front on this one, the backside is untouched...

Does anyone else have some information about these ostfronts?
    Attached Files

You can see the (2 parts) here
    Attached Files

Comment

And now the sad part, the repaint in front!!
      Attached Files

Comment

Yesss
        This is a nice Ostmedal made in Spain in the 50-60´s as a replacement item for Blue Division veterans. 16000 of these were awarded to spaniards.
        The ribon and pin are from this years too.
        It´s no made in two pieces but in one. Both, obverse and reverse was conected on the helmet, in the upper part of the medal, and was folded and soldered on the edges.
        I suposse 2000 of these medals (more or less) were made in a workshop in Madrid around 1960. Another issue of the Ostmedal, in one piece, was made in Spain several years latter by another firm, but this one is the oldest and the nicest.
        Take care of it.

Comment

Thank you,another good thread with important information

Comment

I knew that this medal is not proven to be post war production, and not a pre '45. Gregorio, are you sure about the post war production of these medals?

From what I see it is a cast medal, not a die struck.

However it is a very nice and rare piece, not so common to see around! Great medal indeed.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
            - THE SS TK RING
            - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
            - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
            - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Wow!!!

Thanks guys!!

But it still looks like made out of 2 parts,

The othe one i had was a little open, and you could see it was made of 2 parts.....i think.....it was around 20 years ago...

Are these collectable or just fun to have?

Daniel.

Comment

Well Antonio, I was talking with two of the worker from the firm. They sold me several of these medals and EKII, some of them unfinished. They had the dies too. I couldn´t buy the dies cause another guy with the wallet more filled with than mine came in the middle of the deal.
                I get a lot of info about the spanish production of german medals of this workshop. These Ostmedals (the die stuck version) were made in the late 50´s or early 60´s. They had the exact date.
                The cast medals were made by another firm. The original mould, has been used to manufacture more pieces for the collectors market since the 80´s to a couple of years before.
                Daniel: This die stuck version were made in one piece from a tin plate, open with observe and reverse in the same face and connected by the helmet in the upper rim. Both are folded one on the other and soldered in the edges. Maybe that during the manufactured procedure some of them were broken and so, we had two pieces separately, but usually you can find that obverse and reverse are conected on the helmet.
                Price for these maybe at least 3 times the worth of a german one.
                In Spain this post war version is well known now since a picture of this medal was published in my book Militaria of the Blue Division.

Comment

A really nice spanish made!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorio Torres View Post
                    Well Antonio, I was talking with two of the worker from the firm. They sold me several of these medals and EKII, some of them unfinished. They had the dies too. I couldn´t buy the dies cause another guy with the wallet more filled with than mine came in the middle of the deal.
                    I get a lot of info about the spanish production of german medals of this workshop. These Ostmedals (the die stuck version) were made in the late 50´s or early 60´s. They had the exact date.
                    The cast medals were made by another firm. The original mould, has been used to manufacture more pieces for the collectors market since the 80´s to a couple of years before.
                    Daniel: This die stuck version were made in one piece from a tin plate, open with observe and reverse in the same face and connected by the helmet in the upper rim. Both are folded one on the other and soldered in the edges. Maybe that during the manufactured procedure some of them were broken and so, we had two pieces separately, but usually you can find that obverse and reverse are conected on the helmet.
                    Price for these maybe at least 3 times the worth of a german one.
                    In Spain this post war version is well known now since a picture of this medal was published in my book Militaria of the Blue Division.
                    gregorio.

Thank you for all the information.

You just solved a 20 year mystery to me!!

Would it be too much to ask for a scan of your picture from the book?

It would be wonderful to see!!

Thank you

Daniel.

Comment

Thanks Gregorio for you reply! Great info to add to my personal knowledge on these medals!

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
                      - THE SS TK RING
                      - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
                      - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
                      - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X