Westwall medals in blue LDO boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westwall medals in blue LDO boxes

A friend recently got a huge collection of WWII items, assembled by a collector years ago. Among the items are several Westwall medals in dark blue LDO boxes. Many of the medals are still packed in tissue and appear never to have been opened. I looked at a few of the medals and they were all mint early Tombak examples. I have seen these boxes before, described as boxes for black wound badges. I am inclined to believe that these medals are original to these boxes but wanted to post these pictures for any comments and opinions. I have one of the untouched/unopened ones here and one set missing the wrapping tissue. The pictures aren't the best, natural light photos taken outdoors are all but impossible for me this time of year. The boxes are absolutely dark blue and not black as they may appear in some of these pictures.
    Attached Files

The boxes have yellow interiors with yellow flocking on the bottom. The undersides of the cases are white, the medals are nice early quality strikes.
    Attached Files

Comment

Last photo. These are something of a mystery to me, there are no ribbons in the boxes. Has anyone else ever seen Westwall medals in award boxes like this before? Any feedback would be appreciated.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Chris

Westwall medals were never boxed however I have seen some 'celebration' boxed examples. These boxes are for Wound Badges imo as there is no space to present a ribbon.

Nick

Comment

The March 1941 edition of the 'Uniform-Markt' has an article in it which states that the LDO Westwall medals should be supplied in "Karton II, blau". It also states that these blue boxes should be used for the Black Wound badge and the RAD Service awards.

Comment

The LDO boxes were used even for the flower medals, including the Memel. So I'm not surprised if this West Wall medal was found in this case. IMO the LDO boxes were used for a lot of medals with no distinctions, private purchase was not so "formal" as a ceremony award.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
            - THE SS TK RING
            - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
            - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
            - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
              The LDO boxes were used even for the flower medals, including the Memel. So I'm not surprised if this West Wall medal was found in this case. IMO the LDO boxes were used for a lot of medals with no distinctions, private purchase was not so "formal" as a ceremony award.
              The "U-M" article states that the "Karton II, braun" was for all three flower wars medals. It goes on to say that all 4 SS-Service Awards, the Police 8year medal, the Mining award, the Social Welfare Medal & The EK II Spange were to be supplied in "Karton I, grau". There is also mention of a "Karton IV, rot" for the miniature Mothers Cross.
              The various colours of Halbetui & Volletui are also cross-referenced with their intended awards.

Comment

I have seen the West Wall medals in these boxes before. In fact, I have one or two. The ribbon is folded and placed on top of the medal. Plenty of room.

I also have a 2nd class Luftschutz Medal in a gray LDO box with a folded ribbon on top.

Tom

Comment

I agree with the LDO and West Walls. This is not the first time Ive seen the combination.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I am convinced that these are original boxed Westwall medals.

Comment

Guys,

These are second series (although not initial second series and post the transitional phase) configuration boxes, the article - as stated already - does mention about these medals housed in LDO boxes, sure, but that was in relation to the very first series boxes and thus incipient series of the LDO range, too.

However, I personally have absolutely no contention with such a ''later'' series combination, and incidentally I have a period picture for the book (Packets & Cases, of course) which contains a WW amongst others too; alas, from a period in 1941.

In fact, can I have some pictures for my book please, Chris?

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

Marcus, I am happy to share photos, please PM me your e-mail address and I will take better pictures with natural light later this week or weekend. Thanks for the information. I had suspected these to be early based on the quality of the medals, around what year might you date these boxes?

Comment

This is interesting. Firstly, I would be interested to know if any of the medals are LDO marked, particularly on the rim at the bottom.

Secondly, yes, the Westwall Medal is listed as belonging to a blue carton (along with the RAD Dienstauszeichnung and black wound badge), but there are at least two kinds of blue carton with the LDO logo inside the lid that I have seen: this one and one that is lighter blue (but no the grey-blue used for the EKII Spange cartons) and has less rounded corners. This is not unusual - the grey carton for an EKII Spange is not the same as the grey carton for the Social Welfare medal.

Finally, it was the buyer's choice whether to get this award in a carton or a packet, so I'm not sure why batches would be packed in cartons pre-wrapped in tissue paper.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X