No announcement yet.

SS 4 years medal on Bazaar section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS. Did anyone get close-ups of the other 'repro' 4year in the same listing?

Comment

Hello,

I guess I created quite the debate with this listing! First off, I commend several members of the forum for voiceing their opinions thru PM's about their belief these are real and I should research them further. Folks like Antonio Scapini, joshlichty, cobra-2001, Richard, Steve1987, and Stu W, make this a great web site!

From my understanding, these medals were made in the 1970's. They are very good copies. I believe the big give away was the eye for the hanger; they should be flat and not rounded. In the photo, I did a side by with what I think is a real 8 year service medal, which is on the bottom. My camera is not the best, but I think it shows what is needed. If these turn out to be real, than a couple people made out real well on the deal. Either way, I doubt they will be returned for being misdescribed!
      Attached Files

Comment

These new pictures do it for me.

I was leaning towards a real from the original pictures (that are posted in #1) in this photograph it looks as if the eyelet has the 'ridge' or flat part that we expect to see, because of the missing finish.

In the new photographs the eyelet is completely round and 'donut like' and I have not seen an example I like with that type of eyelet construction. I would agree the rest of the medal looks very good, so perhaps a little more study on this topic would be needed.

For me, it will be called the 'donut fake' until otherwise proven authentic.

Comment

I think these 4 years medals were done in at least 3 different ways. We know some of them where made with anodized finish, other with black "varnish" wash.
          I post 2 medals, just to explain what I'm saying. The one of JC (the second) has the same finish of the liveww2 medal. Not only the finish, but the design is clearly from the same die (the dotted surface reveals these details). I know even that the medals with the "varnish" wash have the ring soldered in a different way and very often they are preserved in a worse way than others of the same type.
          Attached Files

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
          - THE SS TK RING
          - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
          - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
          - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Antonio, I appreciate the discussion!

If same die as #2 shown in your post why the flaws of "IN DER" that seem to have been died poorly into the "4" the "E" seems to be missing its bottom arm even.

Perhaps an old die? Just tossing around ideas, but I don't like that part of the medal.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by joshlichty View Post
              Antonio, I appreciate the discussion!
              For me too is a pleasure discuss with collectors like you!

Originally posted by joshlichty View Post
              If same die as #2 shown in your post why the flaws of "IN DER" that seem to have been died poorly into the "4" the "E" seems to be missing its bottom arm even.

Perhaps an old die? Just tossing around ideas, but I don't like that part of the medal.
              I think what we see in this medal is due to 2 factors:

1) better pictures IMO will reveals clearly details, the shadows in this case can be dangerous;
              2) the black finish is not as smooth/homogeneus as the anodized, so in some areas can thicken and take off some details.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
              - THE SS TK RING
              - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
              - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
              - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

I don't see anything from the new pictures that changes my mind and the eyelets don't particularly look like donuts to me. There were slight variations in these eyelets, particularly between the 8year & 4year, so I think that it is misleading to use the eyelet on an 8year as a control for all Type II 4years.
                As Antonio says...better pictures will reveal all. As I have tried to show in post #15, photography can be very subjective.

Comment

Pictures

Hi fellas.

I was one of the lucky people to pick up one of these medals, mine is the one not shown on the original pics. Please find attached some photo's for your perusal - either way I'm happy to have this in my collection .
                  Attached Files

Comment

Can you show the eyelet please?

Comment

Pics

As requested
                      Attached Files

Comment

Still can't see much due to the shadow...here is mine for comparison...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Suspension ring

Best I can do with my camera mate
                          Attached Files

Comment

These new photos make me feel a lot better about these medals (especially the last one shown)...

Comment

At long last these photos have shown up...absolutely nothing wrong with that eyelet, or the rest of the medal...wot a bargain

Comment

Good if not exceptional news for me - many thanks - better tell my insurance company to up the value

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X