Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40 Year Medal - Pin question??

Hey Guys,

What does the eagle pin represent here? Heer, political, or what? And what is the current estimated value of one of these medals? This one is mint. Thanks.

Sorry about the photo, but the detail is good.

Comment

The pin.....

Comment

Hey guys,

Any opinions are welcome.....

Comment

I've never seen or heard of anything like that. Unofficial?
          George

Comment

Hi George,

I have no idea. It almost looks like the very early cap eagle in miniature. Maybe a retiree in the early years of the Reich? I've had the medal for some time (years) and my brother asked about it, then I got curious about it. It's also got just a little longer ribbon than what I have seen, but that may be normal?? Any experts out there in these medals? Anybody else care to venture a guess??

Comment

Hello Jim,

I have several concerns about the medal you posted. First of all, the suspension eyelet on the top arm of the cross looks too wide. Is that eyelet a separately applied piece or is it an integral part of the cross? It is hard to tell from the photo. The suspension ring is also way too large in diameter. The ribbon is too long to be pin mounted like that. I also do not like the pin clasp on the reverse. I also do not like the way in which the eagle device has been used to attach the clasp pin to the ribbon. I have several of these medals in my collection plus I have previously owned many more over the years. All of the originals I have owned and seen over the years have looked the same. The medal you posted is highly suspect in my opinion. Here are some pictures of a Faithful Service Decoration to illustrate my points. This one is for 25 years, but it will still serve the purpose as the 25 and 40 are idenical except for the finish.
              Best regards! Tom
              Attached Files
              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Here is a closer view of the cross. The suspension eyelet is thin and is separately applied to the top arm of the cross. The diameter of the suspension ring is small compared to yours.
                Attached Files
                Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Reverse view:
                  Attached Files
                  Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

The clasp pin should be sewn to the ribbon and the pin itself should look like this. While it is entirely possible that some recipients of this decoration may have added enhancements such as eagle devices to the ribbon, the one you posted just does not strike me as legitimate. Just trying to give my honest opinion here and no disrespect intended.

Best regards! Tom
                    Attached Files
                    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hi Tom,

I'm not offended at all. I came to this site for brutal honesty (and to learn). Besides, I'm clearing out everything except EK items.

Looking again, the eyelet is part of the medal itself and was not added. The ring is very thin and larger than the one you show, and it is also not soldered closed. Oh well, another one bites the dust. Another misadventure of my trusting youth. Never again, never look back........

Comment

I would support everything Tom has said 100%.
                        Cheers, Frank

Comment

Last edited by Rick Research; 09-02-2004, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X