CEJ Books

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IAB Award Plate - possible RK recipient.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IAB Award Plate - possible RK recipient.

Found this at an antique store yesterday, picked it up...named to a Werner Baumbach

Quick Google search brought up a RK w/swords recipient by this name in the LW...but I'm pretty sure this isn't him by the IAB. I also don't think it's a scam piece, as anyone going to that trouble would at least get the branch or service or awards correct. I think it's just another man by that name.

Can anyone tell me about this plate, what the engraving (esp lower left corner of the plate) means. What were these plates awarded for? Similar to plaques?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Antonio Scapini; 03-09-2013, 09:19 PM.

hallmark
    Attached Files

Comment

Interesting coincidence that Luftwaffe officer Werner Baumbach was awarded his Oakleaves on this date 14.07.1941....while serving as Oberleutnant in Kampfgeschwader 30 (KG 30 is engraved on the plate).

Perhaps a gift from the Infantry to him upon receiving the Oaks?

Kind regards
      Pierce

Comment

A really nice find

If it is, what a wonderful piece of history you picked up.
        I'm sure the GI or antique store owner had no idea what
        Significance it portrays.

Nice pickings,

Peto at point

Comment

thought that may have been an 'R'...no idea on unit abbreviations...that is interesting...still, very curious use of an IAB

I didn't look into his awards dates as I immediately dismissed him because of service branch. You're right, interesting coincidence. Though I don't want to get excited, I really bought it just hoping it was an original plate...thought it would go great with my Infantry interests. Is the engraving and all that good and consistent with period engravings?

Haven't bought much TR since I joined the USMC, but I've seemed to have far more luck with it this past year. FJ Smock, U-Boat Badge (not rare, but have wanted one since I was a kid), and now this. Wish I had this luck on the USMC end

Is there any databases or lists of officers in the Heer we can cross-reference to see if there was another man by this name? I find it difficult to believe I stumbled on a RK recipient's personal item in my local antique store, though I'm secretly crossing my fingers that I did

Comment

can a Mod adjust the title to reflect the discussion? Maybe just add '...Possible RK Recipient?'. Thanks

Comment

was he ever in 4/KG 30? I see references to 1/KG 30, 2/KG 30 and 5/KG 30

Comment

Originally posted by Brig View Post
                was he ever in 4/KG 30?
                Hi Brig,

I am not sure. At the time he got the Oaks he is listed as "Staffelkapitän 5. / Kampfgeschwader 30"
                (loosely translated meaning 5th Squadron Commander / Fighter Squadron 30).

Sorry I cannot help with your questions relating to the actual manufacture/authenticity of the plate.

I am hoping for you that there is some sort of link as Baumbach was an exceptional officer, flying more than 210 operational sorties.
                He ended up with the Oakleaves and Swords to his Knights Cross.

Kind regards
                Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by luftkreig View Post
                  Interesting coincidence that Luftwaffe officer Werner Baumbach was awarded his Oakleaves on this date 14.07.1941....while serving as Oberleutnant in Kampfgeschwader 30 (KG 30 is engraved on the plate).

Perhaps a gift from the Infantry to him upon receiving the Oaks?

Kind regards
                  Pierce
                  I can see the Infantry using an IAB to stand out, as they had no distinct insignia other than white piping...

But...I'd imagine then KG30 was supporting the infantry at the time? Or perhaps just a fellow officer and friend who was Infantry presented this to him

Are there any TR silver/silverware collectors on this forum who may know more?

Comment

possibly a man in 4th Company, Infantry Regt 30. (4/I.R.30)?

Comment

Any new input on this one?

Comment

thanks to the mod who adjusted the title!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X