13 March medal with Pink case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13 March medal with Pink case

Here's one that I can't fully comprehend. Just received a 13 March medal with case all in immaculate condition. When I took a close look at the case some things stood out in comparison to the rather worn condition case I have had in my collection for some years. The first is a distinctly pink color as if the case had been bleached by sunlight. The color was, however, uniform throughout with one exception, the inside lip where the color was the same deep red as my worn case. Bleaching certainly isn't the answer and this color must have been original as it is too uniform. The gold embossed eagle is in perfect condition other than it is slightly tilted. The only other thing that caught my attention, but to which I don't give much weight, is that the slit cut for the suspension loop on the inside of the case is off center to the left. The button is magnetic as is the catch and nothing glows under blacklight.

The medal itself appears to be fine other than it seems a little light (12 grams compared to my old piece of 14 grams). Has anyone else seen this type of color variation in the cases of these medals before? Any help will certainly be much appreciated. I've attached a photo of the outside of both the immaculate case and my old worn out one (on the right). Sorry the picture is fuzzy (I wasn't going for detail) but it is intended to show only the color contrast.
    Richard V

Doesn't anybody have an opionion on the color of this case?
    Richard V

Comment

All signs seem to point towards sun bleeching. But you had mentioned that you thought this was not the case why?

-Shane

Originally posted by Richard
      Doesn't anybody have an opionion on the color of this case?
      Richard V

Comment

Shane, the pink color is way to uniform to be due to sun bleaching. Sun bleaching would have probably not affected the bottom of the case but it is a uniform pink all over. No variation in the color other than the inside lip. In order for it to be sun bleaching someone would have had to have taken great care to expose the entire exterior in a uniform manner by turning the case from time to time to ensure that one part was not bleached any more than another. Other than the color, it is in pristine shape. No fading to the gold eagle or any other damage.
        Richard V

Comment

No one else with an opinion or having seen a case this color before?
          Richard V

Comment

Hi Richard,
            maybe at some point somebody wiped it down with windex or some such agent that affected the color?
            Best, Sal

Comment

Hi Sal, actually an excellent thought. Wiping or cleaning with a chemical agent would have been done only on the outside. Does this mean no one has seen an original medal case for this award in this color? Do they only exist in deep red?
              Richard V

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X