award cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

award cases

why did nearly all luftwaffe awards have cases, and nearly no wehrmacht awards had cases. can anybody tell me that.
    I'm proud to be a sergeant in the royal dutch army

Always looking for documents from the 126. Infanterie-Division.

My guess that this could well have been down to Goering.

My understanding is that he always liked awards, medals and that type of thing so I would imagine he may have asked for the qualification badges to be put in boxes when they were institued in the mid 30's and the practise just carried on from there.

Rob
    Regards, Rob
    Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Hi Dutch, I take it by 'wehrmacht' you mean Army (Heer)? as the word 'wehrmacht' is the collective name for the armed forces..

I think it all comes down to the numbers involved and the grade of award...
      If you consider the amount of, say, Infantry assault badges issued, To case them would have been impracticable and a use of important war materials, hence the use of paper packets..

Most 'Luftwaffe' awards were considered to be high grade and this, mixed with a touch of elitism, is why most of them came cased. Of course, as the War progressed, some awards, previously cased, can be found in paper packets..

Manufacturers also supplied badges in large boxes such as the one in the pic, below..
      Attached Files
      Warmest Regards ... John

cimilitaria.com

Comment

I think you're along the right lines Rob, I couldn't honesty answer this one.....I wish I could have, I have elborated theories and opinions along your idea Rob other than that, I really don't know for sure yet.

There were some different criteria in not production but the rules and regulations also when it came to the Airforce, this was non official but more a 'blind eye'. I can't elaborate anymore than that, at this moment in time (It dosen't help not being able to speak or read German)

What very little I do know, is a mix match of conjecture and full stops. But I have a friend who is helping me out in the German archives.......and he dosen't speak English at all, so I'm buggered....so my questions are translated and it's a long hard slog at this moment in time on many, box and packet issues !

I will however try to find a more explicit explanation that is based on premise than any speculation or summise for you Dutch collector and all, because I need to know such things myself in detail. I wouldn't hold your breath though LOL, but I will get back to you on this.

You'd think this would be a simple explanation wouldn't you !!

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

Again, John I wouldn't disagree with that either and that too most certainly contributes to the whole saga

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

thanks for your reply's i am looking forward to your ideas marcus

rik
            I'm proud to be a sergeant in the royal dutch army

Always looking for documents from the 126. Infanterie-Division.

Comment

Would'nt it be nice to have that box full!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X