medal bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

medal bar

I received this medal bar with a grouping that a GI brought back from Europe. The only thing I know on these is what little I've read on this forum. I'd appreciate learning about this medal bar.
    Thank you,walter
    Attached Files

Hello Walter,

Looks like an original three-place ribbon bar consisting of the Bavarian Max Joseph Silver Bravery Medal, the 1914 Prussian Iron Cross Second Class, and the 1914-1918 Cross of Honor with Swords. You actually have it displayed wrong in your first picture. It should be displayed as in the picture below and the sword device rotated around 180 degrees so that the sword hilts are at the bottom. It may not be possible to rotate the swords device, though, as the pin catch may inhibit its movement. You would also risk breaking the swords device or its attachment prongs.

Best regards,
    Tom
    Attached Files
    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Tom, Thank you for your information on this medal bar. I assume from what you said, that it is actually a bar from the first world war. Is it possible that a soldier would be wearing this bar in ww2? I don't think so. I tried to rotate the swords device without force and it wouldn't turn.
      Regards, walter

Comment

Hello Walter,

This bar dates from 1934 or later as the 1914-1918 Cross of Honor was not instituted until 1934. Therefore, this bar was assembled and worn during the Third Reich Period. Obviously, though, this is a bar to a WW1 veteran and he could very well have been called up for service again in WW2.

The placement of the Max Joseph Bravery Medal, ahead of the Prussian Iron Cross is interesting too. Although it was common (in Imperial times and during Weimar) for Bavarians to wear their own Kingdom's valor and merit decorations ahead of the Prussian Iron Cross, it was not so during the Third Reich. Regulations gave precedence to the Iron Cross over all other Imperial States' valor and merit decorations. So this is the ribbon bar of a stubborn and proud Bavarian.

I figured that the swords device may not move because of the pin catch. So this probably means that the assembler got sloppy and mounted the device upside down.

Best regards,
        Tom
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

RIBBON bar. No medals.

Comment

Hi Walter,

A charming little ribbon bar. In my opinion these Bavarian Max Joseph ribbons are hard to come by on a ribbon bar...I am still searching for one.

I would say the swords were originally put on like that; I would leave them as they are. Here is an examples of a high ranking Kriegsmarine Officer's ribbon bar, from my own collection. I am not sure why they would put the swords on up-side-down but it certainly happened. Maybe the assembler was having a bad day at the office.

Kind regards
            Pierce
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is my inverted device.
              Attached Files

Comment

The knowledge on these forums is vast and I enjoyed learning from you all. Thank you for shareing your information with me.
                Regards, walter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X