Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftshutz medal questions

Hi Guys,
    Not really into Luftshutz medals, but I found one, which is now on hold for me at Lakeside trader, that comes in a packet instead of the typical awards box and a document, I collect awards in their packets so I jumped on it.
    Now my questions are:
    1. How rare are these( in the packet)
    2. How rare are the documents( can't find any on the forum)
    3. Were these awarded to members of the RLB also? Can't find any criteria info.
    Any info is extremely appreciated
    Thanks in advance guys.
    Dave

Not sure how it will help, but here are the pics of the set. It may be a bit high in price, but I have never seen another and have nothing to base this off of. I will have no use for the doc and will end up getting rid of it being that it is probably a married set to begin with. I need to know what it's worth, ballpark, so as to list on e-stand when I get it.
    Any help is very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dave

luftdoc.jpg

Comment

Hello Dave,

As far as I can tell from the small pictures, everything here (document, ribbon, medal, and packet) looks good. Please post more pictures when you get these items, but I see no problems with any of this stuff. The packet looks to be a Förster & Barth, Pforzheim and they were a manufacturer of Luftschutz Medals.

In my opinion, Luftschutz Medals are more often encountered with the gray colored box rather than in paper packets, so I would say this is somewhat scarce. The medals issued in the boxes were fitted with brooch pin mounted ribbons, whereas the ones in paper packets came with a length of unmounted ribbon. The medal has to be considered common, in my opinion, as many more were produced than issued. However actual awards are scarce and the document is something that you don't see everyday.

These medals were instituted in January of 1938 and awarded for meritorious service in the civil defense of Germany via air safety programs. Awards were retroactive back to January of 1933. Recipients were typically members of the Reichsluftschutzbund, Sicherheits und Hilfsdienst, Werkschutz, Feuerschutzpolizei, and the Ordnungspolizei. Occasionally, awards were made to members of the military, but this was basically a civil decoration.

Best regards,
      Tom
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thanks a bunch Tom. So would it be safe to say this would also display good with
        RLB insignia since they would qualify for this award? I may make a little display out of these items as I have some RLB items as well.
        Thanks again for all your help Tom, and yes I will post much better pics when in my possession.
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by blutundehre View Post
          Thanks a bunch Tom. So would it be safe to say this would also display good with
          RLB insignia since they would qualify for this award? I may make a little display out of these items as I have some RLB items as well.
          Thanks again for all your help Tom, and yes I will post much better pics when in my possession.
          Dave
          Hello Dave,

Yes, this would go very well with RLB insignia. You should keep the document too, as that piece of paper is more scarce than the medal & packet. However, the price of the document will not reflect its true scarcity in relation to the medal. If you go to sell that document, you might only be able to get between $75-100 for it.

Best regards,
          Tom
          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by tyanacek View Post
            Hello Dave,

Yes, this would go very well with RLB insignia. You should keep the document too, as that piece of paper is more scarce than the medal & packet. However, the price of the document will not reflect its true scarcity in relation to the medal. If you go to sell that document, you might only be able to get between $75-100 for it.

Best regards,
            Tom
            Hi Tom,
            I probably will keep it for a while anyway and make a small RLB display with it.
            Thanks again for all your help
            I really appreciate it.
            Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X