Scary 22 Juli 1944 Wound Badge Repro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scary 22 Juli 1944 Wound Badge Repro

Craig Gottlieb has listed a very good reproduction of this Wound Badge in Silverfor sale, to the untrained eye, very convincing, check under 'Awards'

http://www.craiggottlieb.com/catalog.htm

make that 20th Juli..my mistake

Comment

IMO what is really scary is that he is asking almost $1500 for a fake wound badge.

Mike

Comment

crazy stuff, and you know what?...someone will snatch it up!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TMurray
          Craig Gottlieb has listed a very good reproduction of this Wound Badge in Silverfor sale, to the untrained eye, very convincing, check under 'Awards'

http://www.craiggottlieb.com/catalog.htm
          I looked at the (short) article on the "mother" site here, and it mentions who the award was given to, and why. My question is - were all 3 grades produced depending on how badly each participant was injured, or just one for all? I was under the impression there was just one type, and a silver would be outright fake.

thanks in advance,
          Hank
          Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
          ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Hank
            Not at all, all three grades were awarded. See page 109-110 of Forman's Guide to Third Reich German Awards for examples
            cheers Thomas

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by TMurray
              Hank
              Not at all, all three grades were awarded. See page 109-110 of Forman's Guide to Third Reich German Awards for examples
              cheers Thomas
              Thomas-
              Appreciate the info; I'll find a copy of the book and edumacate myself!

Hank
              Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
              ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Almost 1500$ for a 30$ fake!

Well as he states in the description "unless there's an idiot out there that is in the habit of buying $30,000 medals without seeking 2nd and 3rd opinions". I could add that this will not be sold for that 1500$ price unless there is an IDIOT!

Good luck to the seller, what a profit if he ever sells that.

L

Comment

He also wants $1595.00 for a cased 1914 EK 1 Regards Chris

Comment

My question is - were all 3 grades produced depending on how badly each participant was injured, or just one for all? I was under the impression there was just one type, and a silver would be outright fake.
                    The Wound Badge in Black was awarded to those wounded once or twice, Silver was conferred for three or four wounds and Gold was given for five or more wounds, or a single wound if it resulted in blindness or total disability.

That's from Lumsden's "Collector's Guide to Third Recich Militaria". Hope it helps.

Comment

Sorry, but I can not agree, that it is a 30$ badge!!!

...in this quality, at least 45$
                      The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

Originally posted by Theodor
                        Sorry, but I can not agree, that it is a 30$ badge!!!

...in this quality, at least 45$
                        45$ if postage is included

L

Comment

but guys...c'mon, it's SILVER and CASED, must be worth at least $45 plus one free McHappy Meal!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DP Jennings
                            The Wound Badge in Black was awarded to those wounded once or twice, Silver was conferred for three or four wounds and Gold was given for five or more wounds, or a single wound if it resulted in blindness or total disability.

That's from Lumsden's "Collector's Guide to Third Recich Militaria". Hope it helps.
                            Very true...
                            But we are talking about the special 20th of July Wound Badge.
                            It was instituted by Hitler after the assasination attempt on Hitler.
                            It was given to the wounded/killed people in the room.

Frank Scheepers

Comment

Funny guys You know I should probably point out that the WWI Cased cross is also named, and comes in the original shipping carton, as well as the box Heck, I am expensive, but not THAT expensive.

Regarding the price of the would badge - the fact of the matter is that they are being produced in very limited quantity, and cost, from the manufacturer, more than you realize. To those that balk at the price of the thing, ask yourselves what's so intrinsically valuable about a Rolex that they cost $12,000 for a thousand dollars worth of gold and some nifty innards that don't keep time very well. Price is nothing more than someone is willing to pay. The manufacturer makes these, sells them, I was happy enough to buy one through a 3rd party just to see what they look like.

Pay close attention to the front of the badge, as it is what is most convincing. The back has all sorts of problems, but these problems have been modified and adjusted to suit individual "orders" shall we say - at least, that is what I can discern from examples out there that have more correct (or less correct) hinges, catches, and maker and content markings. The obverse, I believe, has NOT changed. It is also manufactured in all three versions.

I have learned all I needed to about the differences between this version and the real ones, and think it's frankly worth the $1500. However, as always, the market will either bear the asking price or not. Until then, It's a cool thing to have. The person who buys this will probably also be the person who spends mega-bucks for a very rare and early reproduction dagger. The market is out there for reproductions of this caliber.

My true intent of listing it was not necessarily to sell it, though I will sell it, and will indeed have a difficult time buying another one. The real reason I listed it was to provide a concrete example of what this badge is, what it looks like. Also, word on the street was that I did in fact buy this item, and I didn't want anyone to think I was purchasing it for nefarious reasons. I'm sure some of the other discussion venues will have a field day with it, but oh well! Such is life. As a good friend said to me after a long day of serious ribbing, "Hey, Craig. I'm a military antique dealer - I don't have feelings to hurt."

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X