WWII Ribbon Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWII Ribbon Bar

I am going through and labeling all my ribbon bars... I noticed this one has a little "iron cross" on it... I have been using the ribbon bar webpage as a reference and do not see this baby iron cross anywhere... Has anyone else ever seen this?
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/related/ribbons/ww2.htm

Is it real or a private addition by the owner?

Thank you !! Scott

Awards Left from Right:
    Iron Cross 2nd Class, Russian Front, Austrian Anschluss and Sudeten Annexation...

Hi Scott,

Can you post an larger full on shot of the cross device?

Thanks
    Pierce

Comment

This one is enamel...........

Attached Files
      RonR

Comment

Attached Files
        RonR

Comment

Hi guys.... Good to see that someone else also has something similiar.. mine is not enamel.. it is definitely cast/molded... I hope these pics show some more detail thoughts?

Comment

Here are two more.. it isn't the easiest to get focused detail on something this small..

Comment

I have never seen this type before. I have seen a few examples of the enamel one Ron has posted.

There are people out there breaking up stick pins and adding them to ribbon bars to pass them off as rare devices. I am not saying yours is though but be careful!

Kind regards
              Pierce

Comment

Hi Pierce,

I haven't seen this either... its a bummer because I believe that all my ribbon bars are real... it casts doubt on this particular bar.

You might be right.. I just compared the size to a stickpin iron cross.. they are the same size but my stickpin is painted on.. it isn't molded like this one...

Someone could have just stuck this on there for effect per say..

Thank you, Scott

Comment

Hi,

It appears to be a sickpin device attached to the ribbon. IMO this would not really increase the value of the bar significantly since one can not prove when the device was added.

14 EK2 ribbon bars with EK devices affixed to them are traditionally of Saxon manufacture/origin so this could be a carry over from that Imperial Saxon tradition.

Gary B
                  ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

The bar itself looks good.

As for these types of miniature award devices for the 1939 EK2:

To the best of my knowledge, (based on years of collecting & experience, as well as reading loads of period information & looking through numerous ribbon bar/miniature catalogs & photos), there was no "official" miniature ribbon bar device for this award, as there was for other awards such as the Flower War Medals, Olympic Medal, West Wall Medal, etc., or even the the 1914 EK2.

These are most likely broken stickpin devices added by the original owner (or someone) either during or post war. Sometimes you can tell if it is a stickpin if you are very careful & gently lift the device & look underneath it.

I also wanted to add that cast items may need a bit more of an inspection just to make sure it's a period piece. Although in your 1st photo it looks as though this may have had enamel on it at one point. A good sign.

As far a value, something like this may hurt, help or have no effect on value at all. It all depends on the collector.
                    Regards,
                    Chris

Always interested in buying Ribbon Bars or anything Ribbon Bar related!!

Comment

Thank you so much Chris for taking time to answer. I tried to look underneath and it literally fell off with no force whatsoever! I will post the reverse side of the iron cross and the ribbon bar next... almost looks like it was glue gunned on there!

Comment

Pics attached... Perhaps it was a stickpin but I wonder about the glue????

Thank you Scott

Comment

Hi Scott,

I am sorry to say but I doubt it is a period device..... I have never heard tell of devices being glued on. Very likely a stick-pin as I was thinking before, in my opinion added to increase the value of a common enough ribbon bar.

Kind regards
                          Pierce

Comment

Very reminiscent to the '57 EK2 ribbon bars. It could have been a vet altered bar perhaps - hence the stick pin and glue.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Thank you Luftkreig and Adam... its interesting... sometimes a unique item like this is kind of cool to keep around... its a fun item to show. not sure what else I can do but glue the little iron cross back on.. lol Thank you Scott

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X