Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tyanacek View Post
    Hi Pierce,

Yes, a friend of mine bought the bar from Scott Plen a few years ago. Recently, my friend decided to part with this bar so I traded him another Saxe-Weimar bar that I owned. Here is the bar that I traded away:

This one was to an enlisted guy that was field-commissioned.

Thanks again & best regards,
    Tom
    Another great medal bar Tom. Hmmm....not sure who got the better deal.

Best regards
    Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by luftkreig View Post
      Another great medal bar Tom. Hmmm....not sure who got the better deal.

Best regards
      Pierce
      Hi Pierce,

I feel that it was a very equitable trade. I like the new one a lot, but it was not easy to part with the other one. I guess the truth of the matter is that I would like to own both of them.

Best regards,
      Tom
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Ohooo, this bar has been traveled a lot! Was some period of time as well in my collection and moved on to the States.

Regards,

Timo aka Noor

Comment

Tom,

A really nice bar. Intersting theory you put forth, could it also be possible that the officer or tailor who assembled the bar was Autrian and wanted to place the Austrian medal in higher precedence......sort of like some bars which have the Bavarian awards above Prussian ones.

Gary B
          ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

White Falcons are one of the more interesting Imperial awards imo.
            Attached Files
            pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Gary B View Post
              Tom,

A really nice bar. Intersting theory you put forth, could it also be possible that the officer or tailor who assembled the bar was Autrian and wanted to place the Austrian medal in higher precedence......sort of like some bars which have the Bavarian awards above Prussian ones.

Gary B
              Hi Gary,

When it comes to medal bars, I would say that many things are possible. You offer another plausible explanation for why we see things contrary to the regulations on legitimate medal bars. Therefore I will modify my previous statement as follows:

I really think that some of the "mistakes" we see in medal placement on bars was intentionally done for "artistic" and/or "personal" reasons.

Best regards,
              Tom
              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
                White Falcons are one of the more interesting Imperial awards imo.
                Hi Don,

A beautiful medal bar and by the premier assembler, Gebrüder Godet. Thanks for posting that one.

Best regards,
                Tom
                Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

They are interesting awards to be sure but they sure look more like pigeons to me.
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

They are interesting awards to be sure but they sure look more like pigeons to me.
                    You're not the only one that thinks that.
                    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

I wish I had this bar in my collection; pigeon and all.

Comment

Hello to all,

I now have the original photo to go with this medal bar. My thanks go to Sascha, for selling me this photo and to Pierce, for making me aware that the photo existed. I am grateful to you both.

It looks like the piping on this guy's cap, tunic, and epaulettes is a very dark color. I wish I knew what Waffenfarbe this is. The Regimental numbers on the epaulette are also very difficult to make out. But what a nice photo this is. I thought that perhaps this officer is a doctor, however I don't see a staff of Asclepius on his epaulette.

The inset at the lower left is the stamp of the photographer's studio in Rome. The stamp is actually on the back of the photo.

Best regards,
                        Tom
                        Attached Files
                        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by tyanacek View Post
                          Hi Gary,

When it comes to medal bars, I would say that many things are possible. You offer another plausible explanation for why we see things contrary to the regulations on legitimate medal bars. Therefore I will modify my previous statement as follows:

I really think that some of the "mistakes" we see in medal placement on bars was intentionally done for "artistic" and/or "personal" reasons.

Best regards,
                          Tom
                          Hi guys, yes I too have seen that quite often bavarians and austrians have medal bars that have bavarian and Austrian medals placed first that is before the Prussian ones which IMO is correct for ww1 medals if those are more or equally important medals. What also is quite regular is austrians having their commemorative ww1 medal placed before the HC which is quite correct aswell considering that Austria was an independent country till march 1938. I also quite regularly see bars that have one or two 1933-45 medals placed at the end of it after various ww1 medals. This is of course incorrect but IMO this could have been done as not to have the old bar completely disassembeled but just to add to it. cheers, w

Comment

Hi guys,

I finally picked up an Italian Order of the Crown- Knight's Grade to complete this officer's grouping.

Best regards,
                            Tom
                            Attached Files
                            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

front:
                              Attached Files
                              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

reverse:
                                Attached Files
                                Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X