MilitariaRelicts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decoration For Bravery And Merit Of The Eastern People Award Info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decoration For Bravery And Merit Of The Eastern People Award Info.

Last edited by Frank Mills; 05-01-2003, 08:22 PM.

From a Bekanntmachung of the OKW, 29 October 1942:

1. Die Tapferkeitsauszeichnung für Angehörige der Ostvölker darf - um den Wert der Auszeichnung gegenüber Angehörigen der Ostvölker sichtbar zu betonen - nur an die deutschen Soldaten - und zwar als Erinnerungs-abzeichen - verliehen werden, die derartige Verbände von Ostvolk-Einheiten unmittelbar führen oder innerhalb dieser Verbände Dienst tun.

2. Voraussetzung für die Verleihung ist der Besitz des EK. 2. (1.) Klasse 1939 bzw. der Spange zum EK 2. (1.) Klasse 1914 oder deren Verleihung (in diesem Falle gleichzeitige Verleihung der Tapferkeitsauszeichnung für Angehörige der Ostvölker.). Hierbei darf die Tapferkeitsauszeichnung jeder Klasse nur einmal in folgenden Stufen verliehen werden:

- 2. Klasse in Silber in Verbindung mit der Spange zum EK 2. Klasse bzw. EK 2. Klasse von 1939,
    - 1. Klasse in Silber in Verbindung mit der Spange zum EK 1. Klasse bzw. EK 1. Klasse von 1939.

3. Diese einmalige Auszeichnung gilt nur für den Kampfeinsatz dieser Ostvölker.

I (or someone else here more fluent) can give a more literal translation, but essentially the 1st paragraph authorizes awards to Germans serving with Eastern People's units so Osttruppen wouldn't consider the award worthless. It also says the award has the status of a commemorative badge for Germans.

The 2nd paragraph says essentially what your other sources say. You must have already had the EK I or II (or be eligible for it, in which case you get both it and the Tapferkeitsauszeichnung simultaneously). EK I = 1st class in silver; EK II = 2nd class in silver.

The 3rd paragraph limits awards to combat actions.

Regards,
    Dave

Comment

Last edited by Frank Mills; 05-01-2003, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Believe it or not, they DO pop up from time to time. Here are two silver grade
        examples- one with swords, the other without. The 'without swords' version is of a better quality metal ond is hallmarked on the inside of the pin. The swords version is quite zinky and not marked.

Comment

reverse

Comment

Oddly, I have every single grade of this badge, with and without swords, except one; the lowest - 2nd class in bronze without swords. All but the second classes w/o swords are pictured here.

Frank, your quest may not be finalized if, in fact, a later
            Bekanntmachung or other regulation broadened the award criteria. It's a possibility.

Regards,
            Dave

Comment

Last edited by Frank Mills; 05-01-2003, 08:24 PM.

Comment

You can see the washing off of the gilding on my 1st Class in Gold with Swords:

Frank, thanks, shoot me a PM with the info. I am short on cash right now, but maybe something can be worked out.

Dave

Comment

I have a Soldbuch from an Infantry Leutnant taken POW in Toulon that served with an Ostbatallion, he received both EK's prior the institution of the Ostvolk awards and only received the 2nd class with swords in silver.

Cheers

Angel
                  Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Hi Frank,

the 'ohne Schwerten' example is definitely silver grade. The glare from the scanner makes it seem to have gilt highlights. The hallmark on the underside of the pin is an incused '100', which I THINK is Rudolf Wächtler & Lange, Mittwaida im Sachsen.

Comment

Last edited by Frank Mills; 05-01-2003, 08:24 PM.

Comment

These awards are like the RK for the Ostvolk. The cossack volunteers were sometimes awarded these. I have a cased 1st Class Gold with Swords for sale if anyone is interested...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X