Memel Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memel Medal

Is this a good one? I am still confused as to the authenticity of various types.

Bob Hritz
    Attached Files
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Bob, it might be the copy here.
    Attached Files
    George

Comment

Honestly I would pass on this one. This looks similar to the "Merman" fake as what ever it's being called.

Kenneth

Comment

Originally posted by kenneth wolfe View Post
        Honestly I would pass on this one. This looks similar to the "Merman" fake as what ever it's being called.

Kenneth

hi is this memel medal rare or you can find them anywhere?

Comment

Memel Medals

Originally posted by paul london 36 View Post
          hi is this memel medal rare or you can find them anywhere?
          Paul,

Yes, you can buy them anywhere BUT there are differences of opinion on which one's are original and which one's are fakes.

IMO there were several makers of these medals and therefore differences in the medals but unless the one you have is text-book, nobody will want to buy it from you even though it is probably an original piece.

There are also lots of fakes arouhnd and I do not care for the one Bob has posted at the start of this thread but that is just my opinion.

Stan

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
            Paul,

Yes, you can buy them anywhere BUT there are differences of opinion on which one's are original and which one's are fakes.

IMO there were several makers of these medals and therefore differences in the medals but unless the one you have is text-book, nobody will want to buy it from you even though it is probably an original piece.

There are also lots of fakes arouhnd and I do not care for the one Bob has posted at the start of this thread but that is just my opinion.

Stan
            cheers stan i not got any yet as i not done any research on these medals but i came across one but it was sold

Comment

The concerns I have for the one that started the thread is the detail on the face of the second man. Seems "to" detailed compared to other accepted versions. This is just my opinion and I am by far an expert.

The thing I find most interesting about Memels is that the accepted versions tend to be not as detailed (on the two men), yet with all other medals and badges from this time frame detail seems to be of utmost importance (refering to the obverse, not the reverse).

Andy
              Collecting minis and KVKs

Comment

Not good in my opinion.

Looks like the first guy grew a beard.

Wayne

Comment

I don´t want it in my collection.

Comment

More than just one original pattern, I think

My personal opinion is that there was more than one Memel medal manufacturer, and that there is considerable variation among them, especially when seen under high magnification. This is one medal that cries out desperately for good systematic research based on known originals. I definitely understand the feelings of collectors who stay away from everything except the consensus pattern, but I suspect some perfectly good originals are being erroneously dismissed ("false negatives", for you research types out there).

Comment

I agree.

I've researched this medal to the best that is available.

I firmly believe that there are other types that were issued other than the slanted G.

Some are downright awful fakes where others could go either way.

Trying to prove it is the hard part.

There will always be a big brew ha ha when it comes to what is real and what is fake.

Wayne

Comment

I also believe there are other time period badges besides the slanted "G" but remember that just because there are other examples that are being accepted this does not mean that they all are time period. And if you are looking buy something most people will accepted then go with a slanted "G".

Kenneth

Comment

Thank you all very much.

Bob Hritz
                          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

I got a Memel in a named grouping a few years ago. Will try to take some pictures. However I do not believe this is a realy rare medal. Quite common to find as original.

I remember in 2005 when I was in Memel, which is Kalipeda in Lithuania. I talked the staff in to letting me sit at their only online cumputer in the night and bid on my SS plane tree smock, which I won. I am truly glad for that.

Nice memories!

There is the main square where Adolf Hitler held a speach in 1939. The Coranian spit is also nice to see. I took a ferry and then the bus to the spit and then I walked across the sand dune island close to the Russian border and read the signs that you must halt.

Cheers,
                            Felix
                            Last edited by Felix; 08-13-2010, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Has anyone noticed the bend in the flag pole and the drop in the flag in that area when compared to originals. . Unless of course its my beer filled eyes. All the best

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X