Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What percentage of Combattants received Valor awards

I am interested in your input.

What percentage of the men assigned to combat units received valor awards? Of these, what percentage went on to earn the EK1 or higher?

Regards
    Paul

No one up for speculation or discussion?

Comment

I can´t say anything about germans as I don´t know how much of them fought in the war.
      I can tell you about spanish volunteers in Wehrmacht the % was 5% of them won the EK2 and only 0´72% won EK1. Usually the was in the East Front for a medium time of 1 year when in the Heer and 6 months in the LW. If german soldiers were usually 4-5 years in the front, probability to win the EK must be multiplied x 5 in Heer-Waffen SS and x 10 in LW. So we have 25% for EK2 and 4% for EK1.
      My 2 cents

Comment

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Cross

It is estimated that some four and a half million Second Class Iron Crosses were awarded in the Second World War, and 300,000 of the First Class.

Soo about 1 out of 15 went from EK2 to EK1. More easy if you where a officer than low rank. Soo it where hard to get a EK1 for a normal front soldier. I think that most front soldiers if they survived after some time would get the EK2 for frontline service and fast of course for a act of bravery.

Nicolai

Comment

Nope- again Wikipedia is inaccurate.

By June, 1944 OVER 3 million EK2s had been awarded and OVER 500,000 EK1s.

Almost 40% of the entire Wehrmacht had received some sort of combat award. This included combat badges and KVkxs, by D-Day. Thats' 12 MILLION in feldgrau and add another 1 million other uniforms as a pool of medal recipients.

see the old Koblenz Bundesarchiv file R : 22 p.39: "Informationsdeinst ders
          Reichministers der Justiz
          ". This is now at NARA but I am unsure as to how they converted the file numbers.

In a brief survey done here on this forum @ 2002 from a random sample of 200+(!) Wehrpasses, we determined that over 1/3rd % of all EKs were awarded AFTER D-Day.

Towards the end, entire companies were awarded the EK2 en masse.

I'd estimate @ 4.3 million EK2s and @ 650,000 EK1s by June 1, 1945.

Hey Paul!! Wilkommen zurick!!
          Last edited by McCulloh; 08-05-2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

OK thanks

Comment

Hello
              about EKIs I think we need to separate the crosses really awarded from the private purchases (LDO marked).
              Are 600.000 just the awarded ??? many awarded had 1 - 2 EKis L/xx more.
              Maybe 600.000 is the total amount of awarded + private purchase. Just a thought I want to share with you.

Comment

Uh-no, I am referencing actual awards. Many EK1 holders (esp. officers) had a presentation cross and a private purchase spare-and some had many 'spares".

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X