Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E stand medal bar query

Hi Guys,

Can the conversed on these things take a look at this please: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=443046

A member expressed a concern over the Olympic medal, and in addition thought it was rather an unusual feature to find a tailor's label placed at such an angle on the mount backing.

And as such thought it best for the bar to be discussed, hence I relay it to you.

KR

Marcus

I like the bar as it is

Comment

I do know that these tailor labels are being reproduced but i am not an authority on them.

To me the medal bar looks like a good one. The ribbons show consistent wear and aging.

Is the Olympic Medal magnetic?

I will send this link to our medal bar expert, Tom Y! He also is knowlegdable about the Olympic Medal and has quite a few on medal bars.

Kind regards
      Pierce

Comment

The Olympic medal is magnetic.

Comment

Originally posted by luftkreig View Post
          I do know that these tailor labels are being reproduced but i am not an authority on them.

To me the medal bar looks like a good one. The ribbons show consistent wear and aging.

Is the Olympic Medal magnetic?

I will send this link to our medal bar expert, Tom Y! He also is knowlegdable about the Olympic Medal and has quite a few on medal bars.

Kind regards
          Pierce
          Hi guys,

The first thing I would like to say is that, while I appreciate the vote of confidence from my friend Pierce, I do not consider myself to be an expert on anything. Having said that, I will be more than happy to offer my observations about the three-place medal bar in question:

The medal bar looks to be in really nice condition except for the 1914 EK2, which is rather beat up and showing age not consistent with the rest of the bar. This is not a red flag for me, though. I think what we have here is a bar using the recipient's original WW1 award specimen EK2 combined with the newly-awarded 1914-1918 Cross of Honor (1934+) and the most recently awarded 1936 Olympic Games Commemorative Medal (spring of 1937). In my opinion, this bar was most likely assembled soon after the recipient was awarded his Olympic Games Commemorative Medal and most, if not all of those were awarded from April through May of 1937. The medal bar assembler would have used new ribbon stock for making the bar while using the actual medals supplied by the recipient. So this, in my opinion, will explain why we have consistent aging amongst all the ribbons yet the age and wear of the 1914 EK2 is not consistent with the other two medals: (There is twenty years of age and wear difference between that EK2 and Olympic Medal.)

All of the medals, ribbons, and what I can see of the mounting components look good and original. I have no concerns about that Olympic Medal and from the pictures, it looks to me like it is made of iron and therefore magnetic (most, but not all, were made from iron).

The assembler label to Bruno Görlich looks good. This particular label is not often seen: I think I have only seen four or five examples by this assembler in 35 years of collecting. All of the ones I have seen have been sewn at an angle.

Based on the pictures and barring anything to the contrary that would be revealed by close, in-hand examination, I am confident that this bar is original and assembled in the late 1930s.

Best regards,
          Tom

Here is a four-place, Berlin Police bar assembled by Bruno Görlich:
          Attached Files
          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Police bar obverse:
            Attached Files
            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

I am the one who originally expressed an interest in having this bar discussed as the angled maker label seemed a bit strange and the eagle on the olympic medal seemed a bit different in detail than the ones I had seen previously. The angled maker label seems to be standard for this maker though and the fact that the olympic medal is magnetic, does spades in helping its authenticity.
              Richard V

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                I am the one who originally expressed an interest in having this bar discussed as the angled maker label seemed a bit strange and the eagle on the olympic medal seemed a bit different in detail than the ones I had seen previously. The angled maker label seems to be standard for this maker though and the fact that the olympic medal is magnetic, does spades in helping its authenticity.
                Richard V
                The angle and moth hole get me Rich, thats a nice bar in my opinion.
                Iam Uncle Sam
                That’s who Iam
                Been hiding out
                In a rock and roll band

Comment

Great looking medal bar and I too have seen labels applied this way.
                  WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Thanks Tom, I knew you would give us a detailed synopsis of this medal bar!

Kind regards
                    Pierce

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X