My africa medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My africa medals

Now I'am blocked,help me.I think it's another time to learn. I have got two africa medal. I don't know the materials.I think these good items. When I see the first this is dark-i think silver grade. I see second badge this is broze colour-I think it's bronze grade.
    Maybe this badge maked one grade,but I have two type?
    Attached Files

another..
    Attached Files

Comment

and..
      Attached Files

Comment

It looks like you have 1 made of buntmetal and the other is from zinc.
        The zinc absorbed the finish which is quite normal and the buntmetal has kept it's finish, but both are of the bronze grade, which I believe is the only grade made. These were campaign medals and just like all other campaign awards they were issued in one grade. You either took part in that campaign and got one, or you didn't. Flower war medals, russian front medals, campaign sheilds, as well as arfica medals were all issued in one grade.
        I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
        Dave

Comment

hi guys,

I found these pictures in Bernd Hartmann's book ( Die Kriegsauszeichnungen des Deutschen Heeres 1939-1945 ). Please look at it.

regards Gabor
          Attached Files

Comment

the ( angelaufen ) meaning in English = began, if I well know.

regards Gabor

Comment

Interesting, but my question then is what was the criteria for the 2 different grades? and why aren't other campaign medals offered in different grades?
              As far as I know campaign medals were awarded because they took part in that campaign. How then, if it is worn on a ribbon bar, show the difference between bronze grade and silver.
              Reference books have been wrong before, and I'm not saying it is wrong, but it could be a possibility that the same mistake could have been made in this book.
              Zinc medals with no finish, polished up, could give the appearance of a worn silver finish.
              Good debate though
              Dave

Comment

There is a silvered and a bronze version of this medal. These two of Aicemans are nice examples

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Stickgrenade View Post
                  There is a silvered and a bronze version of this medal. These two of Aicemans are nice examples

Nick
                  Hi Nick,
                  O.K. fair enough, but can any of my questions be answered?
                  -criteria
                  -ribbonbar -bronze/silver how would you tell the difference?
                  -Does anyone have one with some finish left on it?
                  Dave

Comment

Here also is an award document, that was up for sale on e-stand, but doesn't distinguish between bronze or silver
                    Seems to me that if more than one grade is available it would say which version was earned

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...campaign+medal

Another link to axis history. Stating nothing about different grades

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=1801

Wehrmacht-awards.com page again with nothing said about different grades

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/rela...ian_awards.htm
                    Last edited by blutundehre; 04-24-2010, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Hi Dave

You have a good point

I have seen in the Detlev Nieman catalogue a silvered and a bronze at different prices. I dont think they are grades of medal but just a style

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Stickgrenade View Post
                        Hi Dave

You have a good point

I have seen in the Detlev Nieman catalogue a silvered and a bronze at different prices. I dont think they are grades of medal but just a style

Nick

Hi Nick,

It just seems odd to me that even for different styles, they should still be bronze in color. After doing a search on the forum, I have seen a silver afrika medal, but it had the makers mark on the other side of the croc and was suspicious to some as being a fake, and I am not going to make a judgement either way. I just wouldn't be comfortable with anything, but a bronze version and certainly would not pay any more for one listed as silver grade until more concrete proof has been presented.
                        Great debate though Nick, always good to hear your views.
                        Dave

Comment

Hi!
                          Now,when I read your posts,Nick, Dave and Gabenn,I think everybody have a truth. It's another "black hole" in the collecting.
                          What do you think, maybe the "silver" (angelaufen/began) is the early and the bronze is the later?
                          Last edited by Aiceman; 04-24-2010, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aiceman View Post
                            Hi!
                            Now,when I read your posts,Nick, Dave and Gabenn,I think everybody have a truth. It's another "black hole" in the collecting.
                            What do you think, maybe the "silver" (angelaufen/began) is the early and the bronze is the later?
                            Aiceman,
                            As far as I know the early ones were made of solid bronze and the later versions made of zinc with a bronze wash. I really believe these reference books have misinformation and there were no other grades. These are not qualification medals or combat medals and do not require the addition of higher grades, but again this is just my opinion. I guess I have nothing more to add, but I do like the two you have shown though, very nice.
                            Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X