Ilmensee Meissen Memorial Plaque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ilmensee Meissen Memorial Plaque

I have been trying to research this Meissen made plaque memorializing "Ilmensee". So far I have had very little luck finding anything out about it. I once found a uniform grouping for sale on line with one of these that was thought to have been presented to the owner of everything being sold (an officer). That plaque was contained in a field made wooden "presentation" box.

The plaque measures 8 L x 4 W inches and has the names of various towns in Russia, ie.: (from top to bottom) Tschudowo, Nowgorod, Schmisk, Staraja Russa, Demjansk, Waldi Hohen, & Cholm.

I need to know more about this item and an approximate value.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Chuck
    Attached Files

Very nice!
    Looks good, IMO.
    I couldn't tell you about value though.
    Good luck.
    Jp

Comment

Hi Chuck!
      Very interesting item, many great battle was in this area. The story of the Demjansk pocket is one of my favourites. Congrats.
      Andor

Comment

It reminds me of something you would see on the wall of a kaserne like a plaque over names of KIAs etc. maybe at the home base for Training units of a Rgt. etc. that was destroyed or was in the depicted area. Just a guess.

Comment

Ilmensee

Hello,

Fascinating piece for sure. This area was also the approx. area where the Heeresgruppe Nord was active during winter 1941/1942.

And related towards that we can see the main battle area's and also 2 very interesting places such as Cholm and Demjansk. Both encercled at some time.

Can't add info on the value however, fact is that these are not so common IMHO.

I wonder iff it was cased at some point?

Cordial greetings,
          my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

In Russia, many believe that this is post-war fantasy.
            Interested in any information about the history of the creation of this memorial plaque.
            Thanks in advance to everyone who will respond.

Comment

Hello!
              I'll raise the subject. Interested in opinions on this memorial plaque.
              Stas.

Comment

Originally posted by sstas View Post
                Hello!
                I'll raise the subject. Interested in opinions on this memorial plaque.
                Stas.
                This is 100% original and I think double marked Meissen Terra Cotta, or what they call Bottger. Anyone who says differently is just wrong. I have one here and grabbed it recently. They are very hard to find without flaw or damage as their soft compared to typical hard paste porcelain items

Comment

Thank you for your opinion! But I would like some indirect or direct confirmation. Perhaps there is an image of this object in the photos somewhere. I myself have such a placard, but I am not sure of its originality.

Comment

Your in the wrong place for that information. You should contact Meissen direct and no disrespect, but if you cannot look at that plaque and tell its original Meissen Bottger, you need to reconsider your choice of items to collect. Date of manufacture maybe a question, but that is Meissen Bottger.

Comment

The plaque makes me think of a fellow I knew who was in the 290 Inf. Div. which first fought in France and then spent most of the war on the northern Russian front. He liked to recall events in Russia even though it had been a frigid experience. He also earned the Demjansk shield (he gave me a duplicate he had) and was in Kurland almost till the end before being withdrawn because of a wound. Anyway, the plaque looks like a kind of Erinnerungsstueck of some unit which is oddly not named on the plaque. I would have to dig out my copy of the 290,s history to see how closely it matches the names of the towns on the plaque. My friend wasn't at Cholm as far as I know but I still think it commemorates some division's Eastern Front history. Contacting the Meissen works would be the best answer.

Comment

Absolutely original. A friend of mine just bought an amazing group to a later swords winner which included this plaque in its original wooden box. No doubt about its authenticity. Came directly from the family.

Comment

agree nice original

Comment

I wrote to the manufacture 2 times, about 2-3 years ago. I didn't get any response...

Comment

Originally posted by sstas View Post
                              I wrote to the manufacture 2 times, about 2-3 years ago. I didn't get any response...
                              Because Germany is proud of their history, and if the records were not destroyed in a bombing raid the person receiving the mail thinks your a nazi. Your odds of getting a reply are less than half in Germany from any wartime manufacturer. You might want to consider looking at comps and other items that are similar, search engine might help.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X