Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non official SS ring?

Hi everybody!!!!

I would like to know your opinion about this skull ring.
    I think it is a non official SS ring, it has an 800 engraved inside.
    Thanks everybody!!!!

best regards

Macumazan
    Attached Files

“This type of ring (non official) was popular between the SS officers and soldiers and it was commanded to the prisoners of the concentration camps who were profession jewellers”.

This is written in the book:
    Himmler’s Black Order, Robin Lumsden, 1997, Sutton Publishinbg, Cloucestershire, UK (of course it is a historic book more than a collectibles book but I found interesting the manufacturing origin described in this book).
    In one of the pictures of the book we can see similar rings.

The rings that appear in that book are not really very encouraging….nor promising… as far as the aspect in antiquity…they seem too news, however they come from museums..
    Attached Files

Comment

I keep on showing more pictures of the ring.
      Attached Files

Comment

more
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I tray to place pictures with and without flash
            Attached Files

Comment

more pictures!
              Attached Files

Comment

another detaild of the numeral, I guess it says: 800 or 008
                Attached Files

Comment

last picture!!
                  thanks everybody!!!!
                  best regards
                  Attached Files

Comment

An interesting ring. The 800 fine silver mark certainly denotes German manufacture. Whether it is camp produced or not would be hard to ascertain. None the less an interesting piece of personal jewelry.

Comment

Originally posted by macumazan View Post
                      The rings that appear in that book are not really very encouraging….nor promising… as far as the aspect in antiquity…they seem too news, however they come from museums..

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden View Post
                        I mean that they do not look to be 70 years old, I am talking about what it is shown in the picture of the book I attached, they bright too much! but perhaps I am wrong.

Perhaps I wrote nonsense.

It should be an interesting threat the items that are in museums and some of them are repainted or even not original or replicas. Perhaps some museums could increase their founds with doubtable items who were purchased to some militaria shops.

Comment

Hi macumazan......

......Every once in awhile someone seems to think that 60+ anos old items cannot possibly look so good...all shiny and everything. That is not the case, however. There are many examples of firearms, antique silver tea sets and the like that are far older(from the 1800's). By the nature of the metals of which these items are made(as well as how well they are cared for), and to this day, they look as if they came fresh off of the assembly line, or straight from a craftsman.

It goes without saying that you cannot really use age, as the defining criteria, in order to rule something out, or deem it FAKE because it has retained it's new appearance.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you.

As for the ring you have presented, it could very well have been made during the third reich era, or last month, and put into a tumbler to make it look worn. With personal items such as these it depends on provenance, and sometimes plain old gut feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by macumazan View Post
                            I mean that they do not look to be 70 years old, I am talking about what it is shown in the picture of the book I attached, they bright too much! but perhaps I am wrong.
                            Perhaps I wrote nonsense.
                            They were polished for the book.

That's why they look shiny in the photograph.

PS - They haven't been polished again....................since 1992.

Comment

OK men, you are right!!!!!

but silver to bright needs to be polished!!!!
                              and with some regularity, unless you give a perpetual emanel that keeps silver oxid away.

I thought that silver is darkened because it oxidizes.

Of course there are teapots and other items that britght in that way but because they are cleaned.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X