just need to identify what this ribbon bar means

and is there a book or web site where I can learn about German ribbon bars

Thanx
    Peter
    Attached Files

Peter,

The ribbons are for:

- War Merit Cross 2nd class with swords
    - Hanseatenkreuz, Bremen 1915-18, quite scarce War Merit Cross of the small state and Hansa city Bremen
    - Long Service medal Luftwaffe for 4 years
    - Commemorative medal for the Sudetenland's Annexation (Czech republic)

There is a very detailed section on this very site about German ribbons and a great informative article of Mr. Lundström about ribbon bars. You won't find all these informations anywhere else...

Ciao,

Claudio

Originally posted by Hagar
    Hi guys,
    just need to identify what this ribbon bar means

and is there a book or web site where I can learn about German ribbon bars

Thanx
    Peter

Comment

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/ribbons/index.htm

Unfortunately there is no way that this example could be an original ribbon bar!

The Bremen (like Hamburg and Lübeck) Hanseatic Cross was a dual WW1 military and civilian war merit decoration, so while it COULD turn up in a group without the 1934 Hindenburg Cross of a military veteran, it could hardly turn up without a Hindenburg Cross in a LUFTWAFFE group.

The oddly overlapped ribbons suggest to me that the backing was not originally made for four 15mm wide German ribbons, and IF it is indeed an original German backing, appears to have been the size for two 25mm ribbons. Huge long groups sometimes overlap each other, but a small bar like this should have all ribbons neatly side by side, not partially covering each other (one entire red stripe of the 2nd ribbon is under the 1st, and the 3rd ribbon is under the 4th so that the eagle is over onto the Sudeten).

Someone has made this up from parts. The parts might all be original, but the bar is not original. No real person could have worn this.
      Attached Files

Comment

Rick,

As usual your comment are very pertinent! I was so eager to describe the ribbons that I didn't look at it, seeing that this combination is a no go.

Ciao,

Claudio

Comment

Hi,

thankyou for your quick and fomative replies I have attached some more images to help you identifiy.

This came with a EK1 which I have posted
          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=40425

thankyou again for your expert opinions
          Peter
          Attached Files

Comment

Yup, original metal backing... but the combination is still not possible.

MOST of the time, not always, Luftwaffe ribbon bars seem to be backed in Luftwaffe "badge cloth" backing, close to their uniform color.

I'd say this Frankenstein was just assembled out of random original bits and pieces.

Comment

Hi rick,

I have to agree with you it looks like a tacked on after thought
              it looks rough
              thank you for your honest comments and pointing out the obvious
              have a great day
              regards
              Peter

Originally posted by Rick Lundström
              Yup, original metal backing... but the combination is still not possible.

MOST of the time, not always, Luftwaffe ribbon bars seem to be backed in Luftwaffe "badge cloth" backing, close to their uniform color.

I'd say this Frankenstein was just assembled out of random original bits and pieces.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X