No announcement yet.

hi all gold wound badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one I show is shiny, gold-colored...

...brass.

Not a trace of black paint anywhere, but it's definitely a "black" wound badge. Not mine; belongs to the son of a vet that served in the Canadian Artillery.

He said it was black at one time, but all the black paint "fell off".
    -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Hi Mark,
      I think the idea that these were late war started in Hamelman's book when he wrote

" From mid 1944 until the end of the war, as quality became less important, some silver and gold wound badges were of the stamped variety and were either polished brass or given a silver or gold wash-type plating"

As you pointed out brass was a strategic resource at this point. A more plausible but still not convincing idea would be to call these hollowbacks "early issues" of silver /gold badges, before the solid type came into use. But that's still just another one of the many stories heard used to legitimize a questionable item with a story which can't be 100% proven either way

Comment

Here is a silver hollow one. Not mine though.
        Peter Wiking

Here we go:
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Who knows maybe is fact hollow WBs at the end of the war issued as gold and silver grade along with the appropriate black grade, one reason imo is because hollow issues 'consume' less materials than solid, but as i said is MY theory and don't know if is valid.
          I have heard a story from a soldier wearing a black WB and HE upgrade his black WB to silver WB for a while till got the award issue when he wounded again. But this sample and maybe some others are few and not represent the theory. IMO a steel hollow WB without the black paint is looking much better in the eye from a normal silver WB even if it is silver or nickel plated, agree?
          I have a hollow WB brass made and i think this badge never receive any colour on it, all the surface is rough with this in mind what i think may happened, never applied a coat or paint on it or was a construction fault and reject it from the production.
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Comment

front:
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

Peter
              Is the wound badge you showed the one for sale on Kia Winklers site.?
              Thanks

don
              Yes,I collect wound badges.....And looking for more.
              Resistance is Futile

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X