hi all gold wound badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi all gold wound badge

happy new year to u all have just bought gold wound badge hollow back looks ok is this normal on the back number L stroke 1 any help please cheers

Two things concern me with what you say.

1) Hollowback GOLD wound badge

and

2) L/1

This doesnt sound good to me, sorry. You probably have a L/11 brass BLACK wound badge with all the black paint removed..or a fantasy badge.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

hi mark

hi
      Originally posted by Mark Schroeder
      Two things concern me with what you say.

1) Hollowback GOLD wound badge

and

2) L/1

This doesnt sound good to me, sorry. You probably have a L/11 brass BLACK wound badge with all the black paint removed..or a fantasy badge.
      yes i agree i am a new boy sorry it should be L11 i bought it from a company called regimentals and have recepit for 75 pounds the reason i asked i have a silver and it is solid wot do you sygest i do cheers doug my e mail is doug_lynn2002@yahoo.co.uk cheers

Comment

more info

Originally posted by douglynn
        hi yes i agree i am a new boy sorry it should be L11 i bought it from a company called regimentals and have recepit for 75 pounds the reason i asked i have a silver and it is solid wot do you sygest i do cheers doug my e mail is doug_lynn2002@yahoo.co.uk cheers
        ok done some more research on this matter seems as the war progressed by 1945 as quality became less important and materials scarce some black badges were painted the appropriate color and issued as both silver and gold grades in that case the reverse is almost hollow still puzled so sent them an e mail cheers

Comment

Although the controversy over whether their actually existed hollowback wound badges in silver and gold grades rages on, the fact of the matter is that YOU will never be able to prove it. As a new collector, these are the sort of pitfalls you need to be aware of.

I have never seen any hollowback wound badge purporting to be silver or gold that convinced me. I am inclined to think that what are in many collections are in fact unfinished steel black wound badges, plucked from factory stores after the war was over, or reworked brass badges from earlier years that have lost thier finish.

Natural steel badges of any type would be a poor choice due to oxidation (rust) unless it was polished and coated in some type of clear protective coating. Thats a whole lot of work and materials for a supposed cost effective badge. What about brass 'gold" badges? That would kind of fly in the face of the whole "war shortages" theory wouldnt it? After all, brass was a commodity late in the war. It would be difficult indeed to secure quantities of this material during the later war years.

The most obvious reason to me that these hollowback badges are bogus is that there already existed poor quality wound badges at wars end - solid zinc badges with an applied finish. The catches and hinges were intregal to the badge, needing only the attachment of a pin and a colored finish.

Granted, the hollowback type with a folded over hinge and catch would fulfill this requirement, but if these were legit, I really think there would be hoards of them, and there wouldnt even be any controversy to begin with.

I can already tell you what the dealer is going to tell you. No secret there, it wouldnt make much business sense if he told you it was fake after he sold it to you. Ultimately though, its your collection, and if you are happy with it, so be it.

Comment

To help illustrate...

...this is a "black" hollow wound badge:
            Attached Files
            -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

hi ralph

hi ralph is yours gold in color cheers doug

Comment

Fly in the ointment

HI Mark,
                it's been awhile I finally took down the gone fishing sign. Anyway I'm not saying this one is good or bad. It's of curiousity value only as far as I'm concerned. Stamped brass with what is left of some grey/silver paint, no trace of black paint anywhere.Agree with you 100% as far as anyone trying to prove a silver or gold hollow back as real.
                Attached Files

Comment

reverse
                  Attached Files

Comment

hello my long lost friend!

Thanks for showing us your wound badge.

Your badge looks real enough to me. Silver? Black? I really dont know, but it does clearly illustrate some factors that I addressed in my above post.

If we are discussing late war wound badges, we wouldnt be discussing brass badges. Even if they were using the stamped badges as silver and or gold versions, they surely wouldnt be brass.

The hardware on this badge is also of early war manufacture, from when they had the time to spare cutting out delicate catches and soldering them on the reverse of the badge.

Later issue black wound badges dont have these traits, why a supposed "cost effective" wound badge exhibit all the signs of an early badge if it was made in the waning days of the war?

Now, if I saw a stamped wound badge made from zinc (I think the ESP ones are like this..or is it 107?) or possibly steel, and painted gold or silver, I would have to second guess myself. Those types I could see .

Comment

hi all

hi just a quicky i now have a scanner and digital camera is it easy to send pictures on this forum and do u do message first dont forget u are talking here to someone how knows about as much as you can put on a postage stamp any help would be great if not a will ask a six year pld thanks

Comment

Sure, message first or if no message just put a letter or number on the page because it won't post the picture without that. Press browse find you pic, click on it twice then click on UPLOAD.....wait a while for it to come up thats it's loaded,........then click on (what is it???? arrhh) complete or finish or something like that, then press SUBMIT POST as normal.

If you have any problems I'll PM you my number and I'll talk you through it, believe me I still have problems with this computer lark, so it will be the blind leading the blind.

Marcus

Comment

Paul,

On your brass WB that has the grey traces, the pin look's black.....? Perhaps it did start life out as a black WB, the rest is history, I can't explain the grey ?

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus. H
                            Sure, message first or if no message just put a letter or number on the page because it won't post the picture without that. Press browse find you pic, click on it twice then click on UPLOAD.....wait a while for it to come up thats it's loaded,........then click on (what is it???? arrhh) complete or finish or something like that, then press SUBMIT POST as normal.

If you have any problems I'll PM you my number and I'll talk you through it, believe me I still have problems with this computer lark, so it will be the blind leading the blind.

Marcus
                            xxxx,..,.///#'#''

Comment

Doug, you have to be a dues paid association member before you can directly upload pictures to the forum server. For the paltry sum of $20 a year, you can post pictures and so much more.....

http://www.wehrmacht-association.com/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X