Going slightly mad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going slightly mad!

Is there such an item as a naval wound badge? This might sound a bit strange but I can't work out whether this item could be real or whether I've dreamt it! I think it has an anchor on it instead of the helmet if it's real but I'm really a bit fuzzy about it so please help me sort out reality from dream and tell me if I'm going crazy!

Best wishes,

Sara

Not mad...

just astray.

Go down to the IMPERIAL Forum below and type in a search on "naval wound badge."

That was a 1918 award, not the 1939 variety.

Where in Essex? Among my lot are families from Ashen, Earls Colne, Elmsted, Lamarsh, Lawford, Little Bentley, Mistley*, and Ridgewell. (Some of these have apparently slipped Shire bounds in those amalgamations you lot keep having. Tradition! )

* managed to be out of THERE before the Witch Finder General came through in 1647, but had a brace of ancestors hung HERE in '50 for the same supposed predeliction. No, Ricky's not "mad" either!
    Attached Files

Comment

Wound badges

There is a WWI Naval type with an anchor instead of a helmet, but no WWII version. That may be what you're thinking about?
      Erich

Originally posted by SaraM
      Is there such an item as a naval wound badge? This might sound a bit strange but I can't work out whether this item could be real or whether I've dreamt it! I think it has an anchor on it instead of the helmet if it's real but I'm really a bit fuzzy about it so please help me sort out reality from dream and tell me if I'm going crazy!

Best wishes,

Sara
      Festina lente!

Comment

They are kinda hard to find with the anchor.
        Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia
        -the fear of long words . . . .

Comment

That's it! I think I must have seen it in a militaria shop the other day. The bit that is still confusing me is how I worked out it was a naval wound badge. If I go back to that shop and they don't have one I shall be very worried! But if they do, I might try and get it. Thanks for the help and reassurance!

Rick - I live near Cambridge, in the northernmost bit. We had a witch down the road too but I think my relatives were a bit luckier than yours! I don't know the villages you mention - do you know the name of the nearest town? Hey if you don't think I'm mad, I'll take it on trust that you're not either

Best wishes,

Sara

Comment

Oh, aye, CITY folk it were than!

Wot!? Ne'er heard on 'em?!! So much for our Victorian genealogists who lamented the loss of "the flower of Essex" during Metacomet's rampage 1675-76, when whole towns here were put to the knife right up to the coast, and we teetered on the brink of falling into a de-Anglo-Saxonized void between zose Frainchs and the Dutchies!!!

Sure, and doesn't EVERYBODY know that Ashen and Ridgewell are EAST of Helion Bumpstead and SOUTH of Great Wratting?

All actually in the dreaded Sudbury-Braintree-Colchester Triangle, with leakings out to the mouth of the Stour, south of Ipswich. All good serviceable names, and we've KEPT 'em here, too.

I live in a town named, with, um, premature enthusiasm, for that OTHER great University Town of yourn... but I think with but ONE traffic light, Inpsector Morse would not recognize the place!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X