My new police long service medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new police long service medal

I think it's safe to say that the suspension ring on this police long service medal isn't original, but can anyone comment on the ribbon?

The reverse

...and the reverse:

Comment

Send it BACK!

There is NOTHING right about that cross!

The ribbon is American made, with characteristic "selvage" edges not found on period German ribbons. Nor does the cross itself inspire confidence, unless your scans are VERY bad:

this should never be a dull brass-lump, it should be gleaming matte and polished fire-gilt. I'm assuming it's supposed to be a 25 from the dull front, though the dull back looks like it might be "silver" and so supposed to be an 18. In either case, no amount of "normal" wear could possibly produce a complete removal of finish like that. A search on police long service will no doubt turn up many threads.

The difference is glaring, as this example on my cousin Ted's medal bar shows:
      Attached Files

Comment

I had largely suspected the ribbon was bogus, so no real surprise there... It's "silver" in color, not gold. Non-magnetic. In appearance somewhere between steel and pewter.

...and yes, my digital camera sucks a macro work.

Comment

...and what metal is the 18 year supposed to be made out of?

Comment

I agree, that looks like a bogus medal to me too. Here is a real 18 year cross for comparison.

Mine is non magnetic, so I suppose it is made from some type of buntmetal or possibly feinzink. It certainly isnt steel.
            Attached Files

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

It was an antique store find, and well below fair market value for one of these, even as a loose medal w/o ribbon or suspension ring. Not really all that heartbreaking even if it turns out to be completely bogus. I'll work on getting a better photo posted for discussion, and watch for an example at the next militaria show for comparison.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X