Field Marshal Erwin Rommel's Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel's Awards

I know Field Marshal Rommel was awarded the the Pour le Merite (The Blue Max) during WWI but was he authorized to wear it with his other Third Reich awards? The reason I ask is because all the photos you see of him during WWII he is never shown wearing it. Also, can anyone tell me the other medals and decorations that were awarded to Field Marshal Erwin Rommel during his military career?

Thanks!

John

Hello
    PLM winners were entitled to wear the Blue Max during theThird Reich era. GFM Rommel frequently wore it as the image below shows it. Other KC recipients like GFM Busch or GFM von Bock also wore their PLM.
    I have also seen a photo of the well know author Ernst Jünger who wore his PLM when he was a hauptmann in France during WWII.
    As for Rommel's awards, I have not my reference books with me so I will only quote the easisest to find ;
    EK2 1914
    EK1 1914
    PLM
    Spange to EK2
    Spange to EK1 : 21/05/40
    KC : 26/05/40 (43rd soldier of the Army) as Gen.Major and C.O. 7. Pz. Div.
    OL : 20/03/41 (10th soldier of the German Forces) as Gen.Lt. 7. Pz. Div.
    Swords : 20/01/42 (18th soldier of the German Forces) as Gen. d. Panzertruppen, Panzergruppe Afrika
    Diamonds : 11/03/43 as GFM, Heeresgrüppe Afrika
    Regards
    Denis
    Sorry but my free host server does not currently authorized me to import pics. I suppose that I have to wait for a while. I will post them ASAP.

Comment

Here is a list of Rommel's known decorations and awards I compiled from several sources (see below):

Decorations & Awards:
      • Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross: 27 May 1940, Generalmajor, Commander of the 7th Panzer Division.
      • Oakleaves (No. 10): 20 March 1941, Generalleutnant, Commanding General of the Afrika Korps.
      • Swords (No. 6): 20 January 1942, General der Panzertruppe, Commanding General of Panzer Group Afrika.
      • Diamonds (No. 6): 11 March 1943, Generalfeldmarschall, Commander-in-Chief of Army Group Afrika.
      • Prussian Pour le Mérite Order: 10 December 1917, Oberleutnant, Commander of a Battle Group of the Württemberg Mountain Battalion.
      • Prussian Iron Cross, 1st Class (1914) with 1939 Bar
      • Prussian Iron Cross, 2nd Class (1914) with 1939 Bar
      • Württemberg Military Merit Order, Knight’s Cross
      • Baden Order of the Zähringer Lion, Knight's Cross 2nd Class with Swords
      • Bavarian Military Merit Order, 4th Class with Swords
      • Austrian Military Merit Cross, 3rd Class with War Decoration
      • Cross of Honor for Combatants 1914-1918
      • Armed Forces Long Service Award, 1st Class (25-year Service Cross)
      • Armed Forces Long Service Award, 3rd Class (12-year Service Medal)
      • Commemorative Medal of 1 October 1938 with Castle Prague Bar
      • Commemorative Medal for the Return of the Memel District
      • Wound Badge in Gold (WWII award): 7 August 1944 (for sixth wound received on 17 July 1944--per his obituary)
      • Panzer Assault Badge in Silver
      • Luftwaffe Combined Pilot/Observer in Gold with Diamonds
      • “AFRIKA” Campaign Cuff Title
      • Italian Military Order of Savoy, Grand Officer Grade (appears to be such in photographs)
      • Italian Silver Bravery Medal (appears to be such in photographs)

SOURCES: Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer. Die Träger Des Ritterkreuzes Des Eisernen Kreuzes, 1939-1945. Podzun-Pallas Verlag, Friedberg, Germany, 1993; Hamelman, William E. The History of the Prussian Pour le Mérite Order, Volume III: 1888-1918. Matthäus Publishers, Dallas, Texas, 1986; Rangliste des Deutschen Reichsheer, 1930; various photographic evidence.

Regards,
      Shawn

Comment

Dose anyone know what hapenrd to these medals and awards. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Nice homework, thanks for the info!

As far as the dispositon of Rommel's medals, I would imagin they are in the hands of his only son who I believe is still alive and was the former Mayor of Stuttgart.

Comment

What I had in mind was contrary to John's observation... Rommel did wear PLM with his other orders... I heard that he actually liked it more than his Ritterkreuz... Just like this... (PLM under RK)

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/wwii/panzer/images/PK-64816.jpg

Comment

Burial

was he buried with his medals on?

Comment

Rommel, later his funeral pillow w/ awards.
                Attached Files

Comment

Funeral
                  Attached Files

Comment

It appears at his viewing he wore at least his RK and PLM... but I don't know if they were removed before burial and placed on the pillow, or if they were duplicates
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brig View Post
                      It appears at his viewing he wore at least his RK and PLM... but I don't know if they were removed before burial and placed on the pillow, or if they were duplicates
                      His son told me that they were removed prior to burial although they were duplicates. That's why the family loaned one set for display and had the set I was shown when I visited Manfred. (1981). Tom

Comment

Just small correction to Shawn's list (from 2002). Rommel was not awarded the Baden Order of the Zähringer Lion, but rather the Württemberg Order of Friedrich 1st Class with Swords.

Comment

Very informative thanks for information Kevin.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X