• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don Cossack Badge - Another Variant?

Gents,

I spotted this on ebay...

The seller is in Germany.

We had a thread on here about these badges and touched on a couple of variants. I have one that Bill Stump saw over in GD, and I think the above-pictured variety was presented later on.

Is there any concensus on these badges? Which are the accepted patterns for this badge, besides the more commonly encountered thin, pebbled aluminum type?

I remember some members citing references, unfortunately I don't have any of these more recent catalogues (Niemann, etc) so am a bit out of my depth here. Hope some of you can help sort this out!

Cheers,

Adam

For reference here are photos of the variant I have:

[IMG]ftp://vlypvtmt:toby42@ftp.pages.infinit.net/mrm/Cossack.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]ftp://vlypvtmt:toby42@ftp.pages.infinit.net/mrm/Cossack2.jpg[/IMG]

This example is one piece in a kind of white metal, quite heavy and solidly made. (I don't have a scale for exact weight)

The maker's mark on the reverse is: EMIL GRAF PFORZHEIM

The pin is a needle type "shepherd's crook".

Let's hear from those who have these badges in their collections and hopefully get to the bottom of this!

Adam

Comment

These badges are also considered to be copys made in the 70's. The Aliminume version was also very well made in the UK at about the same time.

Comment

It had been established that the aluminum types had been copied in the UK during the 1970s, however, there does seem to be evidence of an original type made by "Emil Graf". The badge appears on Pg. 169 of Andre Husken's reference. I do not have this book, can anyone look it up and possibly post the photo and information that is there?

I am completely unfamiliar with the version that I first posted.

Please also post photos of any badges the membership has so we can compile a gallery of these awards...if we can get enough information and photos I will compile it into an article for the forum. But...I need your help!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

More pictures

Here are some pictures of other Don Cossack badges:

This one was posted by Mr. Bill Stump in a thread on German Daggers.com (Hope you don't mind my posting this here Bill)

And the reverse:

Here is a look at the other version, from a photo sent to Bill from a friend in Europe:

Reverse:

Let's see what else is out there!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

The reverse of the first badge seems to have the makers mark cast into the reverse. I saw the type like Mr S's in Beligium in the 70's they were sold then as copies.

Comment

Here is one of the fakes which were around in large numbers in the 60s/70s.

Here is the reverse of this piece.

Here is the front of one believed to be original

And its reverse

Note the incorrect numeral "9" on the fake. The letters in the name Kononov are also smaller on the fake.
              On the reverse, the pebbling is much bigger and coarser on the fake, as is the pebbling on the arms on the obverse.
              Pin is brass on the fake, steel on the real thing.

Note also if you look closely on the obverse, on the vertical arms, just above and below the swastika centre, you can see a slight bulge corresponding to the position of the points at which the pin is staked in on the reverse. This is missing on the fakes.

Gordon

Comment

Have a third variation of the flat aluminum type with pebbled back. Black, silver and red paint only. Different dies from the other 2. The brass safety pin catch is crimped into two raised oblong mountings that have recesses that look like thermometers (round end with straight cut toward center). The round ends are clearance for the catch ends. Sides of the straight area mashed over the pin to hold it. Clearly die struck, light weight. 46,25Hx46,21mm, 11,64 grams.
                Wish I could post photos! Bought 4 years ago from a German collector at a show there. Bought 4-5 other badges from him and all were without question original. One big German dealer said this one was bad. I think it is good. Has age, made from kriegsmetall showing some powdery gray residue particularly in silver areas.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X