Navy acorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navy acorn

Greetings: I acquired a navy markmanship award, but not being familiar with them have a few questions. First ,the acorn has no covering...are they supposed to be covered. Secondly, the badge is attached to the lanyard with thread. Were they normally affixed by sewing or by prongs. Also would the gold badge represent a 9 award? Thank you for all replies and any additional information. It is very much appreciated and all part of the learning process.
    Best Regards
    Zeke
    Attached Files

navy

Closeup of badge
    Attached Files

Comment

Navy

Marksmanship award obverse
      Attached Files

Comment

Navy

Marksmanship award reverse
        Attached Files

Comment

Navy

Closeup. Thank you all for your replies and comments, and for sharing your knowledge and expertise.
          Regards
          Zeke
          Attached Files

Comment

Kriegsmarine lanyard

Originally posted by mandy333 View Post
            Closeup. Thank you all for your replies and comments, and for sharing your knowledge and expertise.
            Regards
            Zeke
            The best reference I can find on these lanyards is from Angolia's Die Kriegsmarine which is quoted farther down in the following thread:
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...rd#post1070220
            The shield on your lanyard indicates a Level 4 in rifle markmanship, but the acorn should be gold, matching the shield.
            Therefore I think there are three possible scenarios:
            1) Perhaps your acorn has lost all of it's gilding and was originally gilt.
            2) On the other hand, although it's hard to see on photos, it seems it may have traces of silver which would indicate a level 3 award -- that would mean a mismatch between the hanging device and the shield. I have seen a period photo with a lanyard with two acorns on it, so it may have been possible to earn two awards in the same discipline at the same level or two different levels. That means that your lanyard could theoretically represent both a level 3 and level 4 rifle award to the same individual and the gold acorn was subsequently lost.
            3) possibly assembled parts from different sources.

I don't know how you can differentiate between these scenarios unless you know the provenance of your lanyard. At any rate, the individual components all look original to me, and I believe it is correct that the shield is sewn on and had no clips.

(I just noticed this thread having joined the WAF just this year. Perhaps this post may have received more replies if it was in the Kriegsmarine awards forum?)

Best regards.
            ---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X