No announcement yet.

West Wall Medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul is this the site you are talking about?

http://yawp.com/3rd-i/staff/abbadon/...k/badges3.html

They seem to sell everything that was ever produced right down to the lowly war merit medal as a repo. $19 US I could buy an original cheaper local. Why would anyone bother is what I ask? Honestly, that is just insane, have a look the wound badges, war merit crosses low-end stuff. Where would be the profit in producing this stuff? The only way I can see you would make any money would be to make thousands of these things.

Dez

Comment

Hi Dez,
      thanks for the url, I didn't know about that one.
      The ones I had in mind were
      http://www.soldat.com/soldat_long_service.htm
      and
      http://www.egframes.co.uk/index.html
      and they are just 2 of the ones out there

Comment

Having. decided from reading the posts that I may possess a suspect Westwall medal I thought I treat myself to a couple of new ones, from everyones favourite in Hamburg. I almost laughed when I opened the package and saw the medal with suprise suprise a massive 32mm wide shiny ribbon and an issue pkt with Schrobenhansen imprinted on it. They really do seem to be slipping in everywhere. The tombak one that came with it was very nice but still I can't say I am terribly impressed. Were they ever issued with a wide ribbon? Was the spelling error an aberration during production in the war? If I was to go to the effort of faking and mass producing Westwall medal pkts I would at least make sure the spelling was correct or else they would evidently lack credibility. Despite all the posts I am still confused especially considering the good name of the dealer.

Comment

SHOW AND TELL

Please show and tell us who would sell you a fake common West Wall Medal that is a fake.

Comment

Hello,

I finally got my blacklight back and guess what-the westwall ribbon FAILED bad!!!I was plesantly suprised however because 2 other ribbons that i suspected(only because i bought them from private parties not known dealers or collectors)past the test just fine.My (fake!)westwall ribbon was only 30mm wide.

yancy

Comment

Unfortunately I can not show you the medal, I don't have a scanner. I think the medal is probably orginal but doubt the ribbon and packet is. Detlev Niemann was where I purchased it from. I guess from what others have said that the medals can be bought in large quantities but require ribbon and issue packets, and it these that are modernly produced to increase the value of what would be a worn medal without ribbon and packet. Detlev is on holiday at the moment but his able assistant Sabine said he would get back to me, which I have no doubt that he will because I believe him to be a man of integrity.

Comment

Sabine is sending a new ribbon and packet. Apparently the Schrobenhansen stamp was an orginal typing error but still it is nice to have the correct version. I can not fault the honesty of Detlev and that is why I am unlikely to ever buy from anyone else. You can buy piece of mind.

Comment

Bumped up.

Dez

Comment

Schrobenhausen and not Schrobenhansen !?

I got three sets of WWM /w packet, 2 of them are Schrobenhansen and 1 of them is Schrobenhanusen. 3 sets are came from 3 different German Dealers. 1 set of the them with the marking "Schrobenha'n'sen" is came from a very reputable and famous dealer. If "Schrobenha'n'sen" is a repro, this reputable and famous dealer may be selling it wrongly as an original item. I think he classified this wrong marked item as type of period typing mistake.

Until now, no one can prove this, it is repro or period mistake. Hope we can find out the fact one day.

BP

Comment

Same situation, different medal

On page 5 of the Government Surplus listings www.sportmansguide.com you will find original KVM - War Merit Medals.

(from the add)
                      The Germans hastily set up a mchine gun nest in a sewage system in Konigsberg, a former city in Western Russia. Sand was not available to fill sandbags to deflect bullets, so the Nazis used these original medals surrounding the position. They lay in the original bags for half a century . . . until 1999.

This company is selling them complete with a Repro ribbon for $29.97 each (such a bargin )

So it is not impossible for big bunches of medals to surface several generations after the initial conflict for which they were intended.

Just my two cents !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X