Silver Salver (DAK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver Salver (DAK)

I picked this up a little while ago. It is a small silver trinket dish measuring 16cm x 19cm which is heavily tarnished. It was awarded to a Dieter Hellriegel in November 1941 but I don't know what for. Dieter Hellriegel was part of Rommel's Begleitkommando that was disbanded in December 1941. I have been told by a very reliable source that the Begleitkommando was based at Wadi Matratin from August 1941 until the end of November of the same year; all the information on the dish fits the details given to me by my source. There is damage that has been repaired . Comments welcome.

Photos below:
    Last edited by william15; 01-20-2008, 08:27 AM.

Dak Siver Trinket Dish.

Attached Files

Comment

Dak Siver Trinket Dish.

Attached Files

Comment

Dak Siver Trinket Dish.

Reverse 4
        Attached Files
        Last edited by william15; 01-20-2008, 05:08 AM.

Comment

D

5.Damage Repair and a serial number to the reverse.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by william15; 01-20-2008, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Dak Siver Trinket Dish.

6. Hallmarks. This Photo is upside down.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by william15; 01-20-2008, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Dak Siver Trinket Dish.

Attached Files

Comment

Dak Siver Trinket Dish.

Taken Outside, a better idea of the tarnishing and general appearence.

Comment

Dak Siver Trinket Dish.

Taken in natural light.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi William, do you have any provenance behind this item?

The problem is with engraved silver is that old original silver items are purchased by fakers then bogus engravings are added.

Silver is easy to tarnish, so sometimes that is not always a clue to the age.

I kind of like the "look" of it. Certainly a very attractive design as that DAK swastika and palm tree always looks great in my eyes.

One possible aspect which might be in it's favour is the damage. Not the fact is is damaged in itself, but the fact that the damaged area has the inscription running over it. Thes are just my ramdom thoughts, but I would imagine that a damged area would be harder to engrave without showing it was done post damage? Of course a faker could just as easy dent it afterwards.

Have you cheched out the hallmarks? I know nothing about continental stuff.

Sorry to sound a bit negative, but I have seen so many dubious items of silverware, I get very skeptical about them.

I hope someone can give you a more solid answer.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Dak Siver Trinket Dish.

After a little research I have found the hallmark to be Austrian. It's a toucan's head with the w standing for Vienna and the 4 meaning .800 for silver. This hallmark has been used since 1922 and continues to be used today. The story behind this dish is as follows: when the Afrikakorps left North Africa they travelled back up through Italy towards Austria. The convoy came under attack from Allied aircraft; the truck carrying this and many other personal items was hit and destroyed,this could account for the visible damage. It is said that in the Germans' haste to get away from the attack, the detroyed trucks were left behind and were later found by locals who ransacked the vehicles. This plate remained in the house of one of the local farmers until the 1970s when it was bought by the gentleman who recently sold it to me.
                      Last edited by william15; 01-20-2008, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Dak Siver Trinket Dish.

Hallmarks correct way up.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X