Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prag Bar on Medal Bar

Gentlemen,

Have a look at this Prag bar ... opinions welcome.

Mike
    Attached Files

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

It's unlike any I have. The three-story section of the castle, to the left of the center spires, is unusual.
    George

Comment

Hi Mike sorry to say would not be one for me, very unusual design and basic in parts of the design. What is the line in between the middle two towers? All the best

Comment

The line to me looks like a casting "flaw"/mistake in a "re-production".

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by fugpaw View Post
          The line to me looks like a casting "flaw"/mistake in a "re-production".

Mike
          Hi Mike thats what i was wondering.

Comment

Mrg, I was trying to be subtle. IMHO it's a fake.

Mike

Comment

I agree that this one looks like a fake. I have an original in my collection, I've looked at many others, and this one is unlike mine and any other originals I've seen. So, it also wouldn't be one for me.

However, I will always stress that this is only my opinion, based on what I know, from my experience.

Chris
              Last edited by Stahlhelm; 12-30-2007, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Not good...

Comment

It is one fake for me. The dimensions of the Spange looks like different of one original...

Comment

Prag bar

Gentlemen,

Thanks to everyone for your comments ...

Thanks again and best wishes for the New Year!

Mike
                    Last edited by Mike Heuer; 01-02-2008, 11:57 AM.

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

Mike:

Unfortunately, the bars seem to be somewhat harder to find. My understanding is that there were far fewer of these awarded than there were, for example, Sudetenland Medals awarded. I rarely see them for sale, seperate from a ribbon on a medal, and I'm not sure if you really want all that or not.

In doing a little searching myself, I was only able to find one that I think is good, on any of the websites I normally watch. It's actually the only one at all I was able to find--good, bad, or whatever. This one also certainly has the type of wide, shorter prongs on the back, which I expect to see on originals. It's on this site:

http://www.timetravelermilitaria.com/

I couldn't give you a link directly to the exact item on the site, because that site doesn't allow you to do that, for some reason. I've tried it. All links just take you back to the main page. To get to the bar, just click on page 15 of the section titled "GERMAN WW-2 MEDALS & BADGES", and it's the seventh item down the page.

The possible drawback with this one is that it's only offered with the LAH soldier's original award document for the bar. Since it's with that document, and since it's SS related, the price is, of course, unusually high. However, depending on what you like, this could even be more interesting to you. That's actually the only good Prague Bar I've ever seen seperated from a medal ribbon, but if you look hard enough, I'm sure they're out there.

I'm not sure if you're going to the OVMS SOS in February, but that's another good place to look. I would only advise you to study lots of originals, even before you start looking there, because fakes are, of course, everywhere.

I hope some of that is helpful to you. If I see any others out there anywhere, I'll be sure to let you know.

Good luck!

Chris
                      Last edited by Stahlhelm; 12-30-2007, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Try Paul at Lakesidetrader.

http://www.lakesidetrader.com/pics/M-589d.jpg

Comment

Link

Thanks for the link. I hadn't reviewed his website recently. $375?

I remember buying a mint, cased Czech medal with bar from George Petersen about 4 years ago for $150. Oh, for the old days ....

Best,

Mike

Comment

$375?
                            Guess that is why it is still available. Get the quality you pay for.

Me, I am still looking for one in worn condition. Best of luck in your search!

Comment

Hello everyone:

Actually, this one-- http://www.lakesidetrader.com/pics/M-589d.jpg --isn't still available. I purchased that one some time earlier during the month, and it just hasn't been removed yet. It's sitting very nicely in one of my display cases right now. It's a great one, for sure, and well worth the money in my opinion. That bar alone is what will always make these medals much more expensive and valuable. On any medal that has one, it always seems to be the most expensive part of the whole thing.

It's totally correct that quality, condition, and reliable dealer service sometimes costs a little more in this hobby. However, the medal, with an original bar, in the original box, all in excellent condition, is something that I sure could't find anywhere else, after a lot of searching. Finding one like that, with an original bar on it, on top of that, is more than a small challenge, in my experience. These things seem to be more than a little difficult to find.

Now, watch! After I open my mouth, the market will be flooded with them!

By the way, Paul at Lakesidetrader is an excellent dealer, in my opinion. If you're ever going to spend the extra money on quality and great service, then he's the guy to spend it on.

Sincerely,

Chris
                              Last edited by Stahlhelm; 01-02-2008, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X