No announcement yet.

Nice Blood Order in mint condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just an idea : couldn't this Blutorden possibly be a period 'replacement' badge ? Like other numbered or unnumbered badges, it would be logical that the Blutorden might also have been replaced in case of lost, destruction or theft ? Maybe some badges were purposely made unnumbered : the number of the recipient would have then been only added when/if needed.

???

Comment

There is another medal that is marked in similar manner to the one shown. This is number 650, issued to BRUSCHWEILER EUGEN, Party Number 71062. He was in S A Regiment München, 6. Kompanie. This medal I believe was traded to Wolf - Hardin, some time in the early 80's. The documents that went with the piece can be seen in, "DER BLUTORDEN DER NSDAP" by Klaus D Patzwall. Medal number 577, was issued to PRESTELE GEORG, who was in S A Regiment München, 5. Kompanie.

The method of production was to strike the medal and then give it the silver content mark. In this case .990. The possibility arises that the silver marker was unaware of the correct position and stamped the silver content more discreetly under the foot of the steps of the monument. When the medals came to be issued the issuing clerk was forced to place the mark in this position. The proximity of the numbers 577 and 650 would tend to lend authenticity to this view. However this came about it makes these medal type extremely rare.

I am sorry I can not post the picture but will email them to some one that can.

Comment

Blood Order

There is a photo of Bruschweiler's certificate but not of his Blood Order in the Patzwall book--I just checked. There are 2 BO reverses and both have the award number over the silver number.
        It's certainly possible that the person marking the medals hit the silver content stamp in the wrong place, but I think it's unlikely. The silver content mark would have been applied after the silver planchets were struck. The individual award numbers were added later--perhaps as the medals were awarded?
        It's possible that a few were struck too high with the silver marking, but with only 1500 of the first style being awarded, it would make sense that only one or two individuals were doing the stamping--so to my mind it's less likely that they would strike in the wrong place.
        As I mentioned, Steve was one of the individuals who advised that the numbering in such a manner was questionable. I remember a cache of unissued Blood Order medals popped up in the 80s--these are occasionally referred to as 'posthumous awards', which they are not--even a posthumous award would be serial numbered. Because the value of the medal is higher with numbers added, though, it's assumed that most have magically had numbers appear on them subsequently.
        Of course, anything is possible. The oddly numbered pieces could be fine, but I passed on the one I was offered--I'd prefer textbook examples of so rare a medal.
        Erich
        Festina lente!

Comment

Renumbered Blood Order

I just noticed a Blood Order, 1st type, on Manions auction--it's listed under political medals. The medal looks original, but take a look at the serial number and the silver marking, which is engraved instead of stamped. Not a normal marking, compared to pieces I've seen in the past.
          Erich
          Festina lente!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X