Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Issues of the Austrian Annexation Medal

Hello everyone:

I have so far not been able to find the answer to this question, after researching extensively on the forum, so I give up...

I have heard that the earliest issues of the Austrian Annexation Medal had a higher silver content with typically sharper details. I recently had a collector even show me the difference in consequential tarnish propensity and comparative detail in two representative examples. In the examples I was shown, I did witness a difference. However, since I haven't seen this written or heard this talked about elsewhere, I just thought I'd ask for second opinions (or facts, as it may be).

If the info about the higher silver content is true, then it also does seem reasonable that most original examples should have a considerable amount of tarnish at this point--unless, of course, they have been kept in an hermetically-sealed environment for most of their life OR possibly messed with....

So, is it true that earlier Annexation Medals had a higher silver content? Is it true that they should more certainly be tarnished at this point, if not messed with?

Is it true that details on earlier Annexation Medals were any better, any sharper, any deeper, etc., etc.?

Finally, if any of the above is true, is the value of the earlier medals consequently any greater?

Thanks in advance to all who may respond. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Chris

P.S. I am also assuming that this is the correct forum for this question, since I could find nothing which seemed more appropriate.
    Last edited by Stahlhelm; 12-09-2007, 02:57 PM.

Hmmmm....My first question must be more difficult than I thought. I realize that it is a rather obscure issue anyway. I know I also have a habit of concerning myself with rather small details, but somehow I just can't help myself.

I think my main question is with the possible difference in the silver content in earlier and later issues of this medal. I have observed the differences in the clarity and sharpness of the details myself. I just don't know about the silver content in the top layer of the earlier and later issues.

So, maybe if I alter the question a bit, I may get an answer for something just as important. I have been thinking of buying a very nicely-detailed, earlier issue of the medal, complete with its original case (all of which I do want). However, the medal I'm referring to has a rather large amount of tarnish which I would, of course, never want to remove, if I chose to buy it...

1. So, how common is it for this type of medal to be significantly tarnished?

2. How much does tarnish on a medal like this affect its value?

3. Would tarnish on a medal such as this just be an expected feature with which most collectors would not be concerned?

4. In the case of chosing a tarnished versus a rather non-tarnished example of a 60+ year-old medal, which would seem to be most desirable to the average collector?

Thanks again to anyone who may have an opinion, as it is more the case with this. The most likely best answer here is that its all a matter of personal taste, I guess. However, it's also always interesting to know what most people think.

Chris
    Last edited by Stahlhelm; 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Chris,
      I too have had no luck getting info on the composition of the metals used in TR and other medals. I recently bought an Austrian Annex. medal and have wondered if it is silver or just silver plated. The small ring on top of the medal has a spot worn through and you can see a bit of copper underneath. No worn-through areas on the medal, though.

My medal has a splotchy patina...the typical dark grey patinated areas and other areas not as far along. See below. As far as value, I'm not sure. I paid $25 for this one and I think it's good. Regards, Ammersee
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info, Ammersee! It's at least helpful to know that someone else is also wondering about this issue. It's also good to know that I'm not the only one having trouble finding the answer.

I've just noticed, in looking at quite a number of the Anchluss Medals, that there is a distinct difference in the detail and clarity of the strike, related to the tarnish level, on uncleaned pieces. I therefore began wondering if the information I received from another collector (about greater silver content on earlier issues) was correct. It surely began to be a logical conclusion, also based on my own experience examining the medals.

If you do find out anything else, let me know, and I'll sure do the same for you. We may be the only ones wondering about this anyway...

Thanks again,

Chris

Comment

Okay, I'll try this another way:

Does anyone know where such information might be found--perhaps in a good book on the subject of Third Reich Medals?

I'm willing to do the reading and extra research on my own, if someone can just point me in the right direction...

Chris

Comment

I'm not sure why this thread is in the archived section but maybe that's why you're not getting much response.

The answer to your question is fairly straightforward: there was no difference in silver content between early and later strikes of this award because none of them had any silver content. They were usually made of tombak bronze which then had a silver coloured wash applied (not silver plating). Anything with a silver content would have been hallmarked. The variations you see in detail are most likely due to wear, discolouration or possibley different makers.

You're right that there isn't much information readily available about what material different medals were made of. Try to get a look at original medals and you will soon get an idea of what was what, especially if you look at beaten up or worn examples where the base metal is exposed.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed response, James! As I now realize, you are correct that this is not the best forum for my question. Yes, that is also the likely reason that I have so far not recieved much response. However, at least I now have an answer to my question.

Thanks again,

Chris

Comment

In doing a little further research here on the forum, I just happened upon another interesting thread which offers more information and perspectives on the Austrian Medal and it's metal composition.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...Austrian+Medal

Chris

P.S. (For the moderators): If this happens not to be the best forum for this question, please move it to whatever forum which suits it best. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by James Clark View Post
                  Anything with a silver content would have been hallmarked.
                  James, I don't agree with this statement. I have numerous medals that are silver plated and have no hallmark. How could you stamp a hallmark onto a plated piece? The stamp would upset the plating. Ammersee

Comment

Moved this thread to give it more exposure...so it can be discussed more.
                    Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Pickard View Post
                      Moved this thread to give it more exposure...so it can be discussed more.
                      Thanks, Ralph! I'm still looking for an answer to this one.

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X