Is this a possible medal bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a possible medal bar?

I was wondering if this medal bar is an original or if it is a fake.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=36047

Here is the medal bar scan in question:
    Attached Files

Comment

What we have here is a "new generation" of CAST fakes, well enough finished to pass in eBay scans as "looks OK" (though the silly ribbon eagle and solo long service cross are nono's).

I am grateful to our English member Nick, posting as "Macmedal" for bringing these up in the Association Members Only Forum.

I have yet to encounter these at shows locally.

This will only work for Association Members:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...threadid=26740

I'll ask Nick to repost his example out here, since he has actually handled one of these "movie prop" quality ... things.

Comment

Medal Bar

Are these medals fake looking when handled? Also are they poor quality?

Comment

I have had the misfortune to have one of these new repro medal bars in my hand. Fortunately the guy I bought it off had the decency to refund me my money.

These are very good reproductions initially from the photo's they are very hard to detect that they are bad.

As Rick has pointed out there are a few obvious faults the RAD eagle on the ribbon bar of this example being an alarm bell. When I bought it I was pretty sure the bar was a modern made up example using original medals.I got it for a good price and I was happy (from the photos) that the medals were good so I was minded to strip the medals off the bar. Well that was my plan.

However I was dismayed to find even the medals were repro. They were all one piece cast examples. The Ek2 was one piece and obvious as soon as I handled it. The Others were not so obvious. The Honour Cross was original (big deal !) the Eastern Front was a caste copy too lightweight and thin for an original. The Olympic was a very high quality cast copy the only give away was the poor filling on the edge to eliminate the casting line, also the dimensions and depth were slightly wrong. The RAD was also a good cast copy the main give away being a few casting marks to the reverse.

All in all a good copy definitely designed to fool the unwary. From photos on ebay very very hard to determine either way. But as soon as you have it in the hand all too obvious.

However looking at other purchasers they all seem happy with what they got. One guy even spent $600 on a group but he tells me he is happy
          Attached Files

Comment

reverse
            Attached Files

Comment

close up
              Attached Files

Comment

AAAHHHRRG!!!!

Now you have to WATCH OUT for EVERYTHING!!! I am still waiting for the Hindenburg Cross fakes made from GOLD

Comment

Question about the top fake above.

Question about the top fake above.

Would an Eastern Peoples medal appear in conjunction with these other medals?
                  Or for that matter would it even appear on a medal bar at all??

I'd always thought not.
                  Regards,
                  Chris

Always interested in buying Ribbon Bars or anything Ribbon Bar related!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X