Help with Cossack Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Cossack Medal

What do you folks think of this? Young Cossack medal? THanx in advance for your time & comments. Rick C.
    Attached Files

Reverse

(Oh, if it's not junk, what should I pay for it?)
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Rick,

The pitting on the reverse leads me to believe this is a casting.

Therefore, I would not be comfortable that the badge has much chance of originality.

Bob Hritz
      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Hey Bob,

I don't see any pitting. The badge appears to be a silver base metal with some remaining finish plating that's turned a goldish hue. What am I missing? Thanx in advance, RC

Comment

Unfortunately the Cossack badge is a repro. IMO original ones have the hollow back.

Rene Chavez
          http://axis101.bizland.com

Comment

Interesting badge . . .

Hi Rick,

An interesting badge. I have heard that all known originals are stamped, but having said that I would be open to the possibility of a die-struck piece.

If it's a "cast" badge how did the maker manage the raised markings on the reverse?

Did anyone notice that the pin catch is reversed from other badges of the period?

I'd like to know for sure if this piece is cast of die-struck.

Also, some late war badges were die-cast like the numbered assault badges.

Diane

Comment

I'm with Rene,, originals of this badge are hollow............

Comment

The overall softness of the reverse details condemns this badge IMHO.
                pseudo-expert

Comment

Badge

Can anyone post pics of an original for comparison and also if anyone has a repro I`m sure that would be of great help. I`m with Diane on this one. Several unanswered questions??

Comment

Chris,

These photos (pages) from the three books I have. Forman's:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Angolia's:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Detlev:
                        All books I've seen only mention hollow back as the folks here say but showing this to JC he related: "The young cossack badge was a real cheap ass badge-stamped in raw steel and more like a tinny than a badge. They usually show a lot of rust and other damage.******160;
                        This example looks more die cast than "Cast" and could be a quality private purchase as might have been bought by a German cadre member. I've seen dozens of the crappy ones but NEVER one like this.")

Who knows but I've not yet given up on it yet. From enlarging the backside raised letters I see: “E (or F)MTWU_ _” “KANS ZETS_ _ _ LEIPZIG” Does anyone make any sense of this?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X