Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's In The Box?

Hi Everybody,

I recently bought a small parcel of items, amongst which were two LDO boxes, both of which contained miniatures.

However, since both of the miniatures are maker-marked, as is one of the LDO boxes, I can conclude that one of the boxes (the red one (marked L/11) has nothing to do with either of the miniatures. Does anybody know what this could be for?

As for the other box (the green one) which is unmarked, is it possible that this could be for a mother's cross miniature?

The dimensions of the boxes are as follows:

Red one: 44mm x 44mm

Green one: 62mm x 46mm

Thanks for your time.

All the best,
    Toby.
    Attached Files

The red one is what mini mothers crosses usually come in. Don't know about the green one.

James

Comment

I seen a wound badge in one,in mine came a 2nd class spange(fake award)

Comment

James / Marcus,

Thanks for replying. Actually, the smaller box did seem the right size, it was only when I discovered the clash in maker's marks that I was thrown into confusion.

So, now it is just the mystery of the long green case. Hmmn!

Cheers,
        Toby.

Comment

Toby,

My burgundy case is the same give or take a knats c...k!As your green case.

Marcus

Comment

Toby/Marcus,

have the lids on your green/burgundy cases got semi-circular cut-outs on the side? I can't be of any more help on this, but I have seen a guy on German e-bay selling these amongst his reproduction cases. But I don't know what the originals were like.

It seems to me you usually find the LDO-in-a-box symbol on the inside of the lid while the LDO monogram normally appears on the outside. But I couldn't say for certain that the LDO-in-a-box shouldn't appear on the outer lid.

I've seen this size and shape of box used to house the following:
            EKII Spange, Wound Badge (Black), West Wall Medal, Prague Castle Bar, possibly the Medal of 13 March 1938 (can't quite remember). I can remember seeing green, burgundy, grey, black and blue, or at least read about them. I think the slip cases (like matchboxes) for EKII Spanges and Prague Bars were also about this size.

Comment

James,

Yes. Mine has got the cutouts on the sides. As to whether mine is a repro or not, all I can say is that it has been in the same collection for at least 10 years.

All the best,
              Toby.

Comment

James,

Mine is cut out at the sides and I do suspect it of being fake.

I maybe wrong but I'm not sure if they did cut out the sides like this.

Marcus

Comment

I just wondered. The reproductions on e-bay didn't look too bad, so the guy has obviously taken some trouble to get them right. I hadn't seen a real one so didn't know - I just noticed the cut-aways, which I haven't seen on the more usual LDO boxes.

James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X