No announcement yet.

Third Reich medal bars in wear picture gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe Mark and Jeff are looking for ORIGINAL unpublished photos in people's collections.

Neat photo of the DLV Freiballonführer Oberschwarmführer, though! I have NOT been able to ID him-- no post WW1 career (not a Luftwaffe General, not Reichswehr) He was a Protestant "von" Somebody, as the Prussian Johanniters show, and the two Oldenburg Crosses suggest a native of that state-- but I can't find him there. Chances are he was an artillery balloon observer from WW1-- in which case his amazing rack of awrds including a well earned HHOX were hard earned and at great peril indeed. Probably a Major aD. I hate great bars with no ID possible!

This is from Ted's collection: Generalmajor and Frau Christoph Stengel, spring/summer 1944, when he was Commandant of Oflag II D (Groß-Born). Note that his medal bar predates WW2, and that he is wearing his EK2 Spange and 1941/2 East Medal only as ribbons from his 2nd buttonhole-- fairly typical.

Comment

Here is another Happy Couple (well, ONE of them was!), Bavarian WW1 ace Georg Haberl and his bride circa 1933-34 with him in the uniform of a Reichs Air Ministry Lieutenant Colonel, before the official foundation of the Luftwaffe.

She was apparently too much for him, since he never made it to General!

Note the Third Reich uniform, but no Hindenburg Cross yet, and the Bavarian awards first precedence, which ended in 1935 when the 1914 Iron Cross was given first place in ALL medal groups.

Comment

Good job Detective Rick, and nice pictures!

I love to look at originals (unpublished), but as I had not seen them before I enjoyed Tyler's too.
        Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Another ...

This is a very nice thread. Here is an original from my collection --- the only portrait I have with medal bar.

Mike

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

Ah, a career Bavarian NCO who made it up through the ranks, career in either Reichsheer or Polizei into Luftwaffe. Any name on back? I have a supply branch (Intendantur) Honor Rank List from 1929, if he might have been one of those.

Comment

Name

Rick,

No name on the back ... but I will look again. Still unpacking from my move to a new house. What a pain.

Mike

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

Here GenLt Ritter von Speck:

Just his WW1 awards updated with the Frontkämpfer and the Long service awards.

Best regards

Daniel
                Attached Files

Comment

Not a PHOTO in wear, but a WW2 medal bar from my friend Jim's collection.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Daniel,

Which is the 7th medal from the right being worn on the bar of GenLt. Speck? It looks almost the Italian Colonial order although I don't think it is (see "Rosette" and wreath around the star). Auf jeden Fall muss es sich um einen ausländischen Orden handeln...

Ciao,

Claudio

Comment

Hi Claudio,

its Chile Order of Merit officer grade.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Daniel,

Wow... that's exotic! Now I remember to have already seen it before this order. Has he got it as militar attaché while being on service at the German Embassy in Santiago del Chile? I know for instance that Röhm served in a South American Army in the early twenties...

Ciao,

Claudio

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X