3 Stick Pins question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Stick Pins question

Left to right: miniature Infantry Assault Badge, I'm guessing a miniature Fritz Todt Prize, and what could be a SS Aiding Members pin.

Picture 1 of 2
    Attached Files

Picture 2 of 2
    Attached Files

Comment

The second is a DAF members stickpin, quite common

Comment

And the 3rd one..

you got right, too. SS contributor's (supporter's) pin. The FM stands for Foerdernde Mitglieder (sp?) or, "participating contributor"... sort of... I'm translating from memory and may be a bit off, but the idea is correct.

Every one of these I've ever seen have been reproductions.
        -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

the second one looks to be a repoduction and the SS s/p is for sure a repo... it's not marked at all bad sign... sorry... greg k

Comment

If the IAB is of the type where the pin is bent in a horseshoe shape and the end soldered to the badge, I would be a little cautious. I have a couple like this, and neither I am particulary impressed with. IMO they are fakes.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Mark,

Yes the IAB is bent like a horseshoe and soldered on. I'll try and put up a picture of it.

The other two I will mark as reproductions on the back.

Comment

Mark, here's a closeup of the area of how the needle is attached on the IAM.
                Attached Files

Comment

I would like to hear others comments regarding this type of pin attachment, but I personally dont like it.

I expect to see the pin soldered on at a right angle or even with a little mount pad on the pin, but not like this.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

stickpin

The DAF stickpin looks original to me.
                    Erich
                    Festina lente!

Comment

Well I defaced the back of it Erich, so guess it's junk now, or a real pin for use with reenactors.

Comment

DAF looks good to me, too.

But they are quite common.

Gil, here's what Mark is talking about when describing the pin attachments on the IAB mini's. You usually see that type of attachment on repros.

Note also the difference in the spirals on the pin shanks, from yours.
                        Attached Files
                        -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

That being said,

I believe these miniature gold and silver wound badge minis to be original. Note the "U" attachment and the crude shank spiralling.
                          Attached Files
                          -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

So where are we here?

Is it for sure that the IAB pin is a replica?

What I see is a 'U' shaped pin end that is soldered to the badge. The other authentic ones have the same 'U' shape but with the big difference that the very end is flattened for increased surface area contact to the back of the badge. So my IAB looks to be a repro.

Comment

Yes sir.

I would not be comfortable with this IAB stickpin. It may very well be a period piece, even though the odds are against it; but with that needle I'd pass on it. Level of confidence in this statement: 90%.

Bottom line is that these are such a low cost items and lovely examples with much more detail and "acceptable" needle attachments are easy to find.

Hope this helps. There aren't any absolutes, unfortunately, in this game. I haven't seen all varieties of these minis but yours doesn't "match up" to those that I have seen and handled.
                              -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X