Italo / German medal ribbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italo / German medal ribbon

I have posted this medal on the estand but am not sure of the originality of the ribbon as it is different from the ribbons that I normally see on these medals. Can I get some opinions?
    Attached Files

Hi Infanteer always hard going off pics, but my opinion is the ribbon looks like a copy, the colour looks too strong, what does the material feel like? Dont get too hung up on ribbons as many were replaced. Nice award . The main thing is the award looks like a nice early buntmetal. All the best

Comment

Ribbon

Hi there.
      Can I tell my opinion?
      The fact that is very light worn and the colours are bright doesn't necessary mean is a reproduction.
      It could be simply an original one in vgc. I have seen many of them.
      Another important thing is that there are least 2 kinds of ribbon: a lighter one, kind of silk, and a heavier one like yours.
      Cheers
      Fabio

Comment

mrg,
        Have you tried blacklighting the ribbon? That might settle it real quick.

Chet
        Zinc stinks!

Comment

Originally posted by Chet Sowersby View Post
          mrg,
          Have you tried blacklighting the ribbon? That might settle it real quick.

Chet
          Hi Chet I have nt got the award honest . Infanteer has, but if he wants to send it to me I will blacklight it but he may not get it back . All the best

Comment

Thanks guys, the only reason I have posted this is that someone was looking to purchase this award and then decided against it because I could not confirm that the ribbon is original. I agree that the condition of the medal is most important... and this medal is a beauty.

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,
              Since I directed my response to the wrong person in my previous post I will ask you the same question. Have you put the ribbon under a blacklight?

Chet
              Zinc stinks!

Comment

No, I don't have a blacklight and I am actually not a big fan of them either. They can be a useful tool to give you a piece of the puzzle, but I don't believe that they can be relied upon to give a 100% accurate result everytime. I have seen a number of things declared original because they didn't glow when they were obviously reproductions, and I know of several items at least that had excellent providence that were declared fake because of the use of blacklights. I don't believe that there is a tool in existence at the moment that can be used to make an instant determination of originality. There are too many factors that should be taken into consideration before declaring an item original or fake that a blacklight can't reveal. Sorry for the long winded response but I just had a discussion with a friend about this a couple of days ago so I had some points fresh in my mind. Actually, I didn't think the use of blacklights was too common these days as I haven't heard / read many references to them for several years.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X