Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EKII Ribbon Bar Device

Good evening all,

I posted this in the EK Forum earlier but judging by the lack of action even viewing it I guessed I misjudged the experts' interest.

I'm looking to draw upon the expertise of the ribbon bar gurus now to help ID a device on this man's ribbon. Oberbootsmaat Gustav Schinkel served on the Scharnhorst until mid-40 and then transferred to U-124. Based on the 23 photos I have he must have been awarded the EKII sometime in early to mid '40. The pic below shows him in late '42/early '43 with some non-reg device on his EKII Feldspange. It's definitely an EKII ribbon as it was the only ribbon he's wearing/awarded in his other photos (besides the HSF badge and DRL Sports Abz. This is the only photo showing him wearing it as a Fedspange vs. in the buttonhole. Is anybody aware of a device that former members of either the Scharnhorst or U-124 could wear after their sinking????

This is part of a bigger mystery regarding this KIA sailor. I threw a few pics on for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks for any/all inputs in advance!!

Bob
    Attached Files

Close-up
    Attached Files

Comment

Scharnhorst pic.
      Attached Files

Comment

U-124 pic.
        Attached Files

Comment

At the risk of stating the obvious, it looks like an anchor within a wreath but I'm sure its not the Honour Roll Clasp as there doesn't appear to be a swastika on the anchor stock.
          Your guess of a device relevant to service on a particular vessel could be a good one but would the wearer get away with wearing it on his EK2 ribbon?

Comment

Thanks for the input Adrian. To me it looks too horizontal to be an anchor. I've ruled out the Honor Roll Clasp, KM Long Service (not a cornflower blue ribbon), and WWI EKII spange. I'm hoping some of our KM experts could weigh-in with some expertise.

Thanks again!!

Bob

Comment

That is puzzling!

Since there is a device on it, and no devices were ever worn on 1939 EK2 ribbons, that would tend to make me think that it's not an EK2 ribbon at all.

Maybe a foreign award?

It almost looks like something Italian, but I can't seem to recall what.
              Regards,
              Chris

Always interested in buying Ribbon Bars or anything Ribbon Bar related!!

Comment

wow-I have squinted and squinted and have no clue.
                I know the guy to ask though.

Comment

Got your PM Mc, thanks a bunch. I'll try him this evening.

Chris, it is definately en EKII ribbon. He is wearing it as a buttonhole ribbon in many of the pics and it is the only award he appears to have that has a ribbon associated with it. Additionally, this ribbon looks identical to the many I have in other photos where there is no mistaking what the guy is wearing.

Based on what I know of his service there was no reason for him to have a foreign award. I'll try the lead Mc gave me and then contact the Dienststelle as well. He was KIA on 28 May 44 so there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again!!

Bob

Comment

Make sure you let us know as well!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X