SS 25 Years Long Service Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS 25 Years Long Service Medal

I just completed my SS Long Service Award medal group this weekend! (well, almost as I do need a case for the 12 Yr sometime!)

If you are interested in SS Medals I put a pic of the mint 25 Yr on my site. See
    New Addition - 'Dienstauszeichnung der SS 1. Stufe im Originaletui'

Regards,
    Last edited by Steve T; 04-02-2003, 08:26 AM.

Nice Medal !!!

I dread to think how much it cost though

Comment

d'oh!!

Steve I always comment on your SS service awards - now I have only one thing to say

you lucky lucky b_rstard !!!!

( & say just like it was said in"Life of Brian" )
      Strong wind-magic mist, to Asgard the Valkries fly
      High overhead-they carry the dead, Where the blood of my enemies lies - MANOWAR - Hail to England

Comment

Hi Craig,

I maybe a lucky bar steward, but what did the Romans ever do for us?

Regards

Comment

What was the award criteria for the SS long service medal?
          Same as the NSDAP long service awards?

I used to own a silver 12 year SS medal many years ago and I thought that was rare!
          25’s must be as rare as hen’s teeth, congratulations on a very nice collection there.

Comment

Award Criteria for the SS Long Service

What was award criteria for the SS long service the medal?
            Dez, I'm going to look for a copy of the original 'Blatt's but from sources easily available:

The SS Dienstauszeichnung (Long Service Honor Award) was instituted on 30 January 1938. On the same day also the statute of the SS service honor was issued, and the text published on Pages 66-67 of the Reichsblatt Part 1 of No 8, published Berlin, 30 January 1938.

The award is an acknowledgment for faithful and true services of SS members in the SS-Verfügungstruppen, SS-Totenkopfverbänden und SS-Junkerschulen. (Other SS personel were eligible to recieve the NSDAP Long Service awards.)

The four classes of awards were designed by Professor Karl Diebitsch of Munich.

The grades are awarded to the respective ranks as follows:
            • 1st Class (Gold) for 25 years true service awards to eligable Officers, NCO's and Men
            • 2nd Class (Silver) for 12 years true service awards to eligable Officers, NCO's and Men
            • 3th Class (Bronze) for 8 years true service awards to eligable Officers, NCO's and Men
            • 4th Class (Black) for 4 yrs true service for eligable NCO's and Men.

Honourable service time from 1925 counted towards this award. I'm not sure of the date but the award was suspended during the war period, probably during 1941 so I guess the service period was 1925 to 1941, a period of only 12 years.

The 'Kampfzeit' period 1925 to 1933 and active military service counted as double, hence it was possible to accumulate enough eligible service years to recieve the 25 Year Long Service award in the 12 year period.

References:
            1. 'Zur Geschichte der SS Dienstauzeichnung' von Dr. K-G Klietmann, Orden & Militaria Journal, März 1977.
            2. "SS-Dienstauszeichnungen" von Gerhard Rudloff, Orden & Militaria Journal, März 1977.
            3. "Political and Civil Awards of the Third Reich" by LTC Ret. John R. Angolia, 1978.

Regards,

Comment

Bravo Steve! I have never seen one of these in flesh and I've been interested in this stuff for over thirty years. Rare...rare...rare!

Prosper

Comment

Well done

Crikey...I was under the impression that these were so rare that they just didn't appear on the market.

Superb piece, I almost like the box as much as the award itself.

Comment

Hi all,

Does anyone have an award document for the 25 Year SS I could take a look at?

Thanks,

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X