Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hindenburg Cross with attached badge.

Hello once again,
    I'm hoping this is the correct forum for this medal. I would of went with Imperial German awards but since this wasn't instituted until 1934 I'll put it here.
    This medal is one of many brought back to the States by the late William F. Henry (see my other posts for additional items). It is your typical "Eurenkreuz des Weltkrieg" combatant's grade in solid bronze. It is in mint shape and on the back at the bottom it is marked W.R. No other markings can be seen. The ribbon is intact and also in excellent shape.
    Here's where we depart from what I have normally seen. Attached to the top of the ribbon is a small shield or crest type badge. It is two piece and made out of very light, thin aluminum. Sandwiched between these pieces of metal is a piece of thin cloth embroidered with a coat of arms or "wappen" with the words "MOERS" above it. The metal is secured to the ribbon by a pin device. Also, the thin sheets of aluminum are secured to one another by thin tabs that are bent over and secure all three pieces together. All in all, a tiny and very meticulous set up. Any guesses as to what this crest means, along with the word "MOERS"? Family name, town name, etc. Ever seen one like this?
    Many thanks,
    Eric.
    Attached Files

Back of cross.
    Attached Files

Comment

Close up of crest.
      Attached Files

Comment

Back of ribbon/crest.
        Attached Files

Comment

looks like a whw pin that is attached to the ribbon....

Comment

Yes, it looks like WHW pin/badge. WHW is for Winter Hilfe W???, a winter relief campain, it was a social-oriented campain among civilians for collecting help for (arian german, of course) families in need - they gathered funds with selling pins like this, postcards and many other things. Moers should be some town, there were eries of WHW badges with crests of grman cities and towns. WHW is a subject of collecting on its own, as there are very many differet pins like this, but I think those items are not really valuable. It's not my subject, so i can't help you more.

Comment

Originally posted by Valter Gorenc View Post
              WHW is for Winter Hilfe W???
              Hi Valter, the word you were looking for is "Werk"

I would agree with you on the badge.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it very much!
                Regards,
                Eric.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X