Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID of ribbons

Hi guys,

I'm hoping an expert here can identify the ribbons on the two attached historical photos. Both men were infantry Hauptleute and had many years of service behind them before these photos were taken in late 1942.

http://www.leapinghorseman.com/ribbon_bar_1.jpg
    http://www.leapinghorseman.com/ribbon_bar_2.jpg

Any opinions gratefully received.

Thanks!
    Jason Mark

ribbon bar is:

#1:
    1. Looks like a KVK with swords ("x")
    2. 4 year LS medal
    3. Austrian Anschluss comm. medal (1939+)
    4. Czech annexation comm. medal with Prague bar

They stopped issuing the LS medals in 1940, started issuing KVKs in early 1940 -so I'd thereby date the photo to 1940 +

#2: No idea-but I would guess EK2 and the Italian Africa medal.

Comment

Interesting, the second guy is wearing a broken IAB, first time I have seen a broken one in period wear.

Comment

seems strange to wearing a broken award i thought at the time awards could be replaced cheaply even his wb looks tattered

Comment

Interesting, the second guy is wearing a broken IAB, first time I have seen a broken one in period wear.
          seems strange to wearing a broken award i thought at the time awards could be replaced cheaply even his wb looks tattered
          Sorry for the belated reply.

There is good reason why he is wearing a broken IAB – he was doing it on purpose. This particular officer belonged to 305.Inf.Div. in Stalingrad and – at least in this division – the broken IAB had particular significance. It signified that the owner was someone who fought out of a sense of duty but was still combatworthy and a trustworthy, dependable guy, even though he believed the war was lost. Of course the troops were not allowed to openly express this opinion, so this was their way of expressing their feelings to one another. A silent protest, if you will. It is perhaps ironic that this particular soldier was to become a well-known figure respresenting the Germans at Stalingrad (he appears on the cover of "Island of Fire" (http://www.leapinghorseman.com/index_iof7.html), my new book (he's on the bottom right):
          http://www.leapinghorseman.com/prodi...7631_large.jpg

I can post a larger photo of him, if anyone wishes.

All the best,
          Jason Mark

Comment

Interesting commentary regarding the broken IAB, I have never heard of that before. Though the image is very familiar, it is the only one I have ever seen. I couldnt help but notice his WB is also pretty beat up, and just chalked up the broken IAB to the rigors of war.

I am very curious what was your point of reference regarding the anti war statement with the broken IAB? Are there other images of other soldiers wearing their IAB in this fashion?

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Schroeder
              Interesting commentary regarding the broken IAB, I have never heard of that before. Though the image is very familiar, it is the only one I have ever seen. I couldnt help but notice his WB is also pretty beat up, and just chalked up the broken IAB to the rigors of war.

I am very curious what was your point of reference regarding the anti war statement with the broken IAB? Are there other images of other soldiers wearing their IAB in this fashion?
              I too was surprised when I first learned about this. The current Vorsitzender (chairman) of the 305. Infanterie-Division Kameradenschaft was the source for this information. The famous photo of the unknown German officer was shown to him in an effort to identify the officer. The chairman did not know who the officer was (however, I have established his identity using other sources) but he did provide a detailed description of what he saw in the photo, including the broken IAB comment. It seems this practice was not widespread and indeed, was probably confined to certain units. To date, I have not been able to find any other images of 305.Inf.Div. soldiers wearing broken IABs. I'll certainly post any photos I find.

Best wishes,
              Jason

Comment

Fascinating & great info!

I have to think back now if I've ever come across a photo of a broken IAB too? I too would have just chalked it up to combat.
                Regards,
                Chris

Always interested in buying Ribbon Bars or anything Ribbon Bar related!!

Comment

I have seen a pic of broken pab only once as well and if memory servers me correctly it was suppose to be taken at Stalingrad.

I always though it was just broken in the field. Neat to see history come alive like this.

I will see if I can get a copy of the pic and post it.

cheers

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X