Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memel Medal Pole.....

Hello Everyone,
    I finally figured out how to post a pole .
    So for my first one, I really wanted to get a feel for what other members think about the two types of Memel medals and which one they believe is authentic (or maybe both). I really look forward to the hearing from everyone.
    I will start things off by saying that I like the "laid back" G style.
    Andy B. collecting mini badge stickpins.
    Laid back "G" style
    45.60%
    Upright "G" style
    3.20%
    Both are ok
    36.80%
    I avoid both, too controversial
    14.40%
    Collecting minis and KVKs

I think that both are ok, but since that other aspects are observed. Only to observe the "G" of the Memel does not guarantee if it is OK. I read some topics of the WA on the Memel Awards, and both the types are had as good, since that some aspects are observed.

The laid back "G" style really is more accepted than the other style. After seeing some photos of the secund style in these other topics of the WA on the Memel Awards, I believe to be difficult to undeserve this style.

Another aspect that must be observed and that also it is basic for the evaluation is the format of the "M". The size and format of the "9" also can help in the evaluation, depending on style.

Regards,

Schmidt

Comment

Thanks Schmidt for the added advice. I did not really account for the "m"s. It is still an interesting medal to try and collect. Thanks everyone for voting so far...
      Andy B.
      Collecting minis and KVKs

Comment

Hi,

There is at least one picture in existens (In another forum) of a period catalog that showed a very clear drawing from the front and reverse of the medal. It has a straight "G". But of course it's a catalog drawing and not the actual die for production. Still I vote for both of them.

Regards, Theo.
        Freedom is not for Free

Comment

I voted that both can be okay. (I know that there are fakes of the "Straight G" type, but some of them are okay, IMO.)
          George

Comment

Hi,

first I must confess, that my vote fot the upright "G" style is only partly correct.
            I did it some months ago as a provocation.

The correct vote could only be for:

Both are ok

Why? Please see the inserted picture(s):

You can see here 5 contemporary pictures of the reverse of a Memelland medal, period between 1940 and 1944.
            All the 5 pictures show different medal reverses!

2 with the upright G.

You can find differences in the G, the M, the Ä, the 9, the acorns and/ore in the oak.

Therefore I say, that there is more than only one correct medal.
            And I say, that there exist from both types originals and copies/fakes.

And I say, that the claim of sole representation for the laid back "G" style is obsolet and unsustainable.
            The contemporary pictures speak against it.

Regards
            Uwe

Comment

Here's an "Upright G" that was offered for sale by Detlev. (Full disclosure: I have another example that I purchased from him.)
              Attached Files
              George

Comment

Here's one on a medal bar.
                Attached Files
                George

Comment

Bar obverse.
                  Attached Files
                  George

Comment

Here's another one on a bar.
                    Attached Files
                    George

Comment

Second bar obverse.
                      Attached Files
                      George

Comment

My example from Detlev, obverse. (This is the only example of this type that I own. All the others have the "Slanted G.")
                        Attached Files
                        George

Comment

Detlev-acquired piece, reverse.
                          Attached Files
                          George

Comment

Here is Detlev's "Fake of the Week" feature with an "Upright G" Memel as the fake. It is clearly different from the example I obtained from him.
                            Attached Files
                            George

Comment

speedytop,

Where are the two bottom pictures from? Which references.

George Stimson,

It's great that you have so much confidence in Detlev but he's not perfect and is known to have made mistakes in the past. I do not like your memel. When did you purchase this from Detlev?

Kenneth

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X