Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order of the German Eagle - Info Please

Dear all,

I was recently offered an Order of the German Eagle 5th Class w/o Swaords, with the award document (for a Norwegean?) in the original cover sporting a gold eagle.

My dilema, not being a collector of state awards, is that I neither know the value nor if there are perfect fakes aroound. This medal was awarded to a scandinavian train station supervisor. It is made of gold plated silver and is marked "800" and "21" on the ring. It is pretty light and feels "hollow" if you know what I mean.

Considering the source I have no reason to be worried but I am a little bit paranoid; well aren't we all...

Any input, also value related ones, most welcome.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Al

SOUNDS GOOD, BUT PHOTOGRAPHS WOULD HELP

The description sounds good. Would it be possible for you to post scans of the item?

Comment

Sorry, no pics

Hi Bill,

I hope I can call you Bill, the badge is not mine. Neither I nor the owner have a digital camera. Sorry... All I can provide is a description. Assuming it is an original, it is a medal in near mint condition with no damage at all. It is on a ribbon that was added by the owner; it did not have one when he got it. The award document is minty too as is the folder it came in.

For the lack of a picture, let's just assume it is original. How much can it be worth? I would seriously be interested in buying for my trading stock. Can you give me a ball park figure?

Kindest regards,
      Al

Comment

VALUE

Albert if the 5th Class is cased, with the presentation document, and in excellent or better condition, the value would be between $1200.00 to $1500.00. These have done nothing but go up in price over the years and with award document they will always hold their value even more. Just my personal opinion.

Bill

Comment

I have a third class cased without swords. This may help even if it's not the same class.
          Attached Files

Comment

Inside the case. By the way, my ring is also marked like yours.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is the medal inside the case.
              Attached Files

Comment

1939 3RD CLASS

The medal Gary posted is the 1939 version of the Order of the German Eagle. When the swords were added in the 1943 version it was the same medal reclassified as the 5th Class. The upper "fan" is marked "5" to designate the class and the suspension ring will have the number "21" for Godet's manufacturing number.

Comment

That's the one

Yes, that's exactly the one. It has the same kind of finish as far as I can judge from the pictures. It is not cased however.

Shoot, I don't collect party/state stuff and have a dilema on my hands now Do I pass or do I raise funds

Mott5ranch (Gary?) can you post a close up of the cross? Esp. of the suspension ring with the silver and maker's marks

Thanks in advance,

Al

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X