Help on these Westwalls please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on these Westwalls please!!!

Hi to everybody. I have two different Westwalls, but one of them looks different because it has no bronze finish and it has a kind of orangeous colour, so I have a big doubt about it. Could it be due to the material they are made of? I think that the different one is not issued in zinc, but I'd like your opinions on it. Could it be an earlier made westwall?

If you decided to keep one of them in your collection and sell the other one, what would it be?

I've posted some photos in the following link. Please tell me your opinion or whatever you know about it.

http://es.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kos...bum?.dir=/791c

Regards.
    Ricardo.

westwall query

Hi, with regard to your query early strikings of the westwall medal were made of brass whilst later manufacture was normally of zinc with a bronze wash and depending on the quality of the wash gives different shades from deep brown to light gold. Personally I'd just go for early brass strikings and forget the rest, regards Paul

Comment

Hi Richardo both west wall medals look good to me. West wall medals were produced in early Brass, Tombac, and zinc and as already mentioned by paul were given a bronze coating. It is hard to determined the two you show the one with the most finish could be Tombac or just a Zinc award with a nicely retained polished finish ( a side on view would help determine the metal) as for the one with red colouration this could also be a heavily worn Tombac, the red showing being the copper content. Have had a few myself showing this. If i were to keep one it would be the one with the most finish but that is just personal choice. You will be able to determine a brass one compared to the other examples by weight also. Hope this is of some help.

Comment

Thanks to Paul and mrg for your help! I've eventually made up my mind to keep both in my collection as they're different in material and weight, so now I definitely have two westwalls .

Regards.
        Ricardo.

Comment

Hola Ricardo. Parece que cada vez nos vamos animando m******225;s los espa******241;oles a entrar en el foro.
          As the other chaps says you have two different but originals Westwall medals. As it******180;s a cheap medal and to sell one of this is not an "strategical decision" I recomend you keep both versions in your collection, as I did.
          If you want we can be in touch by pm.
          Agur.
          Last edited by Gregorio Torres; 04-10-2006, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Hola Gregorio! Es un placer poder hablar por aquí con alguien de España! Hablemos en inglés para que nos entiendan... That's a good idea. I'll keep both as they're not very expensive. I'll send you soon a PM to keep in touch and talk about our collections. I thinks this is the greatest forum about III Reich militaria in The Internet and I usually buy or tend to solve my problems here .

See ya! Hasta pronto!

Ricardo.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X