A Few More Ribbon Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Few More Ribbon Bars

A few I picked up from Alan G last week (the original thread was lost of course)

Bars 24th June.JPG

The 'Vanity Bar' with unofficial veteran's awards is obviously it's from about 1933 and before the introduction of the Honour Cross. I bet the owner was gutted to have his fancy 6 placer replaced with a 3.

Ian.

Very nice group!!

Regards
    Mike

Comment

Very nice Ian,

I really like the Weimar era vanity medals even though they're aren't valued as much as the official decorations. Particularly like the Honor Legion medal.

James

Comment

Originally posted by Mike TM View Post
        Very nice group!!
        Cheers Mike.

Originally posted by Sevrin View Post
        Very nice Ian,

I really like the Weimar era vanity medals even though they're aren't valued as much as the official decorations. Particularly like the Honor Legion medal.
        Thanks James. I have just two true Vanity Bars, shown here with the reverse of the Kyffhausserbund award

Kyffhauser 1.JPG

The reverse ..

Kyffhauser reverse.JPG

And the device details ... the Kyffhausser has a unique sword device of it's own.

Kyffhauser.JPG

Kyffhauser device.JPG

And the 2 different Honour Legion devices I have .. 1 pin-on..

Honour Legion Device 1.JPG

and 1 sew-on ..

Honour Legion Device 2.JPG

Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Nice Vanity items Ian. I'm also a fan and pick them up whenever I can. Just wondering...Are the 3 Hanseatic crosses considered vanity medals as well or are they more like the Schlesischer Adler and the Baltic cross because I've seen some on TR medal bars?

Take care

JC

Comment

Pretty sure the 3 Hanseatic crosses fall under the official category, similar to the German state merit/EK equivalent medals. IMO, those are among some of the most attractive decorations of the time. Beautiful medal bar from Tom Y.'s collection:

James
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks James and perfect example photo. You are right: attractive crosses and It wouldnt be worn with the Hindenberg Cross if it were a vanity medal

JC

Comment

Hi JC (and you James) the Hanseatic Crosses were retained under the post-1934 regs alongside the Silesian Eagle and Baltic Cross. I guess they were counted as awards of the German States in the same way as Prussia, Baden, Bavaria etc etc ?

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
                  Hi JC (and you James) the Hanseatic Crosses were retained under the post-1934 regs alongside the Silesian Eagle and Baltic Cross. I guess they were counted as awards of the German States in the same way as Prussia, Baden, Bavaria etc etc ?
                  Yes; the Hanseatenkreuz was an official award jointly instituted by the senates of the Hanseatic City-States of Hamburg, Bremen and Lübeck in 1915.

Comment

Originally posted by HPL2008 View Post

Yes; the Hanseatenkreuz was an official award jointly instituted by the senates of the Hanseatic City-States of Hamburg, Bremen and Lübeck in 1915.
                    Thanks for the confirmation.

Ian

Comment

Don't mean to hijack your thread Ian, but on the subject of vanity bars, I was wondering if someone could verify what the end blue Maltese cross on this bar is exactly. It was described as a 'railway' veterans award.

Thanks!

James
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Sevrin; 06-29-2020, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I am reading the intials " D E K " on the blue Maltese-style cross at the end. I'll take a shot in the dark and suggest it might be a decoration issued by the Deutscher Evangelischer Kirchenbund which was founded in 1918. This would not be the first time I see a decoration issued by a religious organization on a Weimar era medal bar, particularly on one that has no official military awards from the Kaiserreich. I'm probably way off base, however.
                        Last edited by Gardereiter; 07-01-2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

It's the first-type Erinnerungskreuz [Commemorative Cross] of the Reichsbund Deutscher Eisenbahner-Kriegsteilnehmer 1914-18 e.V. (an association of railway personnel who had participated in WW I).

Comment

Thanks for the help; I appreciate it very much!

James

Comment

More nice bars, Ian, and a good array of awards! You’ve scored a lot of bars lately; cabinet drawers filling up fast!!!

Congrats.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X