Engraved Silver Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engraved Silver Cup

I know this is probably not the correct forum but here goes anyway...

Have a look at this silver cup and if you can speak German fluently could you tell me if the German shown here is grammatically correct in every way?

Are there any blatant errors? What about the style of engraving... does it look period. Also what about the shape of the cup...

Cheers,

Rich
    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
    Decorations of Germany

See shape...
    Decorations of Germany

Comment

Dear Rich,

There is no problem with the grammar, everything is 100% correct.
      IMO the style of the engraving is also period. Things like the "z" at the end of the Name Schütz look very authentic.

The only thing I think is quite strange is the content of the engraving. It is for the "3. Geburtstag" (3rd birthday), which is very strange. If it would be for Schütz´ little daughter or son, I am sure the name of the child would have been mentioned.

Maybe there is some explanation for this if you know more about the context of that cup, but it does seem odd.

The shape of the cup may be a little extravagant but could very well be period German IMO.

Cheers, Frank H.
      Cheers, Frank

Comment

...are there any silver stamps present?
        Cheers, Frank

Comment

Frank

Thanks for the reply. Here is a shot of the silver mark...

All I know is it is labelled as a 'Memory Cup'. Having translated it, does it appear to be for someone's child?

Regards

Rich
          Decorations of Germany

Comment

Dear Rich,

No, it doesn´t seem as it would be for a child. It is definitely for the Gefreiter Schütz. But a "3. Geburtstag" commemorative cup for a grown up man? Maybe he spent his 3rd birthday in a row there? But that would be an unlikely engraving either. With birthdays, the correct age should be mentioned.

The only thing to translate would be "Am Kanal" which is "At the (British/French) Channel".

I addition, isn´t "Einheit 19470" (unit 19470) totally untypical for a German unit description?

Cheers, Frank H.
            Cheers, Frank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X