Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain the UV-test

Hi
    Can anyone explain the differnt tests you make with differnt kinds of light. I read UV, black light and so on.
    What's the purpose, how should they look in this light.
    Hope you no what I mean.

Also the magnetic test.

Using a UV backlight is a useful way to detect reproduction ribbons. A repro should glow under UV light with its new fangled modern fibres whereas an original ribbon won't. Apparently it can be used with some paper documents but then documents can be faked with orginal paper being used. I have never used a backlight but should get one really.

Comment

I see, ok then I might have to buy a UV light, any suggestion, prices?
      And the meaning with blacklight?

Comment

The meaning of back light I suppose literally means a light source that eminates from behind the object you are placing infront of it. They can be picked up from electrical retailers in the UK for as little as approximately £10 ( $15 ), they are the sort of thing shops use for detecting fake bank notes. They are quite a useful piece of kit especially if you prefer original ribbons with your awards.

Comment

See this link;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/rese...lack_light.htm
          Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Be aware though that a vast number of items glow and that is perfectly legitimate. The one to worry about is a bright, vivid electric blue that you will get from the white in new ribbons-- it will match the bright blue flare from usual computer printer paper, items washed with common laundry detergent, etc. (Many original white tunics and caps, yellowed and dingy, have been laundered and now glow bright blue-- but that just shows they have been washed, not that they are fake-- you STILL have to use good judgement and experience.)

Many things glow different colors and ARE old and legit. The colors you get from items other than white you just have to get used to-- yellow as found in many naval insignia turns orangy, some purple goes pink, and carmine will go dayglo orange-- and all of those are normal. Also, holding a blacklight too close to an item will give you a dull glow from its own reflection-- you should get a reaction you can see from several feet away in the dark.

The blacklight is only one test. It is not infallible, but it is useful.

Comment

As a backup to what Rick said, I have a small roll of period cloth that has never been washed or messed with in any way. When exposed to UV light the horizontal fibers glow like fiber optic cable while the vertical fibers are totally dull. Unfortunately I've never found a way to photograph it, but it's really an interesting effect.

Battery powered lights are readily available and can easily be carried in a pocket. You just have to keep in mind that it's just a tool and should not be used as the sole method to determine authenticity.
              Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X