Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fortress Eben Emael ........

Hello,

Well to show my respect towards the soldiers who where involved into the first Glider airborne mission on 10.05.1940 im starting this thread .

Many has been written about the actual missions ( certainly about Eben Emael )that took place on that day not to mention the brave Para's, etc ... but how about the glider pilots that where involved in those missions ?, are they known ? did they survive the war ?, etc .... those are questions that run often trough my brain when reading about these daring mission ( as each Glider pilto was also highly trained, suffered during this mission, was victorious, etc ... ) .

Well here are the names of the Glider pilots who where involved in thos 10.05.1940 days and hopefully someone off you guys can show us some docs. related towards one of this guys ?

Fortress Eben Emael

Brautigam ( died 1943 in a plane crash )
    Bredenbeck ( KIA 1944 )
    Distelmeier
    Kraft ( KIA 1944 , Russia )
    Lange
    Pilz
    Raschke
    Scheidhauer
    Schulz
    Supper
    Ziller ( KIA 1945 )

Bridge Veldwezelt

Bosebeck
    Egner
    Flucke
    Fulda
    Opitz
    Schubert
    Stuhr
    Staubach
    Wienberg
    Winkler

Bridge Vroenhoven

Daum ( KIA ? )
    Foltmer
    Gerken
    Hempel ( KIA 1943 in Istres )
    Jodicke
    Kiess Dr.
    Krusewitz
    Lehmann
    Pfitzner
    Smyczek
    Stern

Bridge Canne

Frey
    Hartebrodt ( KIA 1945 )
    Noske
    Over
    Rieger
    Seele ( KIA during action )
    Specht
    Schedalke
    Schikowsky
    Scwheigmann

Most of the above mentioned Glider pilots are passed away since and as far as my knowledge go there are about 3 still alive on this day .

Hoping to be off some help ( altough these guys where not para's as such they where togheter in action and at that time + they received the same awards + promotions for this action )

Cordial Greetings,
    my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Otto Brautigam was killed in 1941 whilst flying a Gigant glider. Russia I believe, or so I am told by a veteran of Truppe.4, Eben Emael.
    All the best
    Greg Way

Comment

Giday Stijn,

Unfortunately, I am not able to provide you with much additional information about the glider pilots.

Of the glider pilots who took part in the capture of the fortress Eben Emael, both Bradenbeck and Raschke later participated in the capture of the bride across the Korinth Kanal. Lange was involved in the invasion of Crete.

Of the glider pilots who took part in the capture of the Veldwezelt bridge, Bösebeck was later captured on Crete and detained in Australia. Fulda, as you are probably aware, received the Knights Cross for his part in the action at the action at the Korinth Kanal.

Of the glider pilots who took part in the capture of the Vroenhoven bridge, I believe you are correct in your belief that Daum was killed. Further, I think the surname, "Gerken", should read "Gehrke".

Stijn, the names Lehmann and Frey do not appear on the lists that I have compiled. I will look into this and get back to you.

All the best,

Ian

Comment

It's a long shot, but I have a photo of a man who is named Schikowsky and was the training manager of military gliders at Darmstadt/Zellhausen. At least, that's how I read the reverse of the photo. Could he be one of the Eben Emael pilots?

--Kevin
        Attached Files
        Last edited by norwest; 03-11-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Glider pilots at Eben Emael are the 2nd on list for each glider, not amount the list regards graeme
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Graeme. I believe that Schikowsky(i) was part of Sturmgruppe Eisen, with the objective of the Kanne bridge. Do you have information on that group? I'd like to know Schikowsky's first name.

Thanks,
            Kevin

Comment

Kevin, if you get the book, 'the silent attack' by Gonalez et al. He is listed in the Eisen group but no first name unfortunately. He died in 1979. I have no other reference. regards graeme

Comment

First name ist Herbert.
                best regards
                Gehlert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X