Soldier's military history.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldier's military history.

Hello all. I am new to this site, but very impressed with the knowledge here.
    Can anyone tell me how to track a U.S. soldier's military history during WWII and the Vietnam war?
    Thank you in advance.

SFtroopere7,
    I see you are in Central PA. A nearby resouce is the US Army Military History Institute (part of the US Army Heritage and Education Center) is located on Carlisle Barracks. In addition to its world-class collections on the US Army and military history, it has an extremely knowledgeable and helpful reference staff. Check out their website - it includes many unique print materials as well as the papers of thousands of soldiers and airmen. You can submit research/reference requests on line.
    In you visit in person, MHI and USAHEC holdings, staff, and historical exhibits are open to the public and free. USAHEC also offers a range of monthly and quarterly historical talks, an annual Army Heritage Days weekend (usually in May), and historical exhibits.
    If you are looking for information about military service of an individual, USAMHI can also help you. If you have a DD 214, and unit service information, that will give the MHI staff a big head start. MHI has a super collection of unit histories (battalion, regiment, brigade, division, corps) that may provide more information about the service of the person you are interested in.
    You can also contact the National Archives and submit a request for their 201/Military Personnel File. Best access chances if you are next of kin.
    Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help in any way. Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X